• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing a race car

dirtdigr27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 89 ford ranger w a 2.9 and a4ld, the trany was rebuild w a heavy duty rebuild kit, i want to use it to haul my my 91 ranger that i built into a drag truck. i would be towing with it 2 to 3 weekends w/ distances of a 100 miles or so round trip...what i want to know is can the frame take the stress and can the truck in general take the stress:

icon_welder:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Frame: OK
Engine: OK if your cooling system is oversized and in good shape. But it might not go that fast.
Rear springs: Will be near the bump stops
Rear tires: Marginal if it's got 4wd spec tires. Overloaded if it's got 2wd spec tires.
Brakes: Will definately require trailer brakes. Attempting this without trailer brakes is a death wish.
A4LD: Bad idea. If you must do it, get a huge trans cooler and put a temp gauge on it and stop if it gets past 200 degrees F.
Truck in general: Not really big enough, but with enough driver skill, trailer brakes, heavy enough tires, and deep enough gears, doable.

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this is doable but modification would be needed like Sevensecondsuv stated... i personally would go the extra mile and do a straight 4.9L swap with the F250 trans, renforce the frame, stronger rear leafs and higher load rated tires but thats me

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this is doable but modification would be needed like Sevensecondsuv stated... i personally would go the extra mile and do a straight 4.9L swap with the F250 trans, renforce the frame, stronger rear leafs and higher load rated tires but thats me
Or just find a cheap tow pig

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Depending on the weight of the drag truck, I'd say marginal at best. And if you have it on a trailer, there may be some police that dissagree with it being safe.

You might be better off picking up an F-150 with a 4.9L, I used my Ranger for towing a number of times (only flat towed or tow dolly'd BIIs or a heep wrangler). Now I have an F-150 with a 4.9 and I'd rather tow with that, does a better job and I can pull a 2-axle trailer loaded with trailer brakes and hardly know it's back there.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i say go for it...

just make sure you have GOOD WORKING trailer brakes, and definatley a big trans cooler and gauge for that a4ld.

beefier tires wouldnt hurt either.

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A friend has a mazda xr7 that is a street/strip car and so he tows it to the track when he goes. He started pulling it with a ranger 4X4 and it would get the job done, but he did not feel totally safe because of other drivers and how they were driving. He ended up trading the ranger for a f150 which gave him a lot more control in emergencies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals