• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TLC for my Chevy

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 three door C1500 Silverado. I am about to do some much-needed TLC to the truck. I have a few questions about some of the interior work I want to do.
First I have an issue with the door locks. They seem very stiff. It has power locks and when I hit the button the driver side very seldom will lock or unlock. The passenger side will almost always lock but isn't as consistent on unlocking. If I try to use the key it's very stiff there as well like I would break the key if I turned hard enough. when I hit The button on the solenoids seem to be working it just seems like they're getting to much resistance and not able to quite fully engage or disengage the lock. I have sprayed graphite spray on every moving part inside the door I can imagine might have anything to do with this including the key cylinder. Any suggestions?

My second issue is more about a customization than repair. My headliner is sagging and I plan to replace it and know how to do that. What I want to do in the process however I'm not quite sure the best way of going about it. I want to delete the factory domelight and replace it with some kind of LED lighting. I was thinking about somehow putting it around the border but I'm not exactly sure how I could go about this without having the ugly LEDs expose. I think what I am wanting is more of an indirect lighting type of set up to hide the lights themselves but again I'm not sure what I would use for molding. I have thought about maybe using some aluminum C channel from Home Depot and see if I can make that work. I am a bit afraid that I would have sharp edges to bump your head on every time you get in and out of the car. Is anyone done anything of this nature do you have any suggestions ideas any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got started on the headliner. Still need a few parts to finish. I will have about a 1/4" gap between the headliner and the Bowtie. I plan to put an LED strip there for my "dome" light. It will be the end of next month before I will have a chance to finish but this is what I have now.

This is what I started with.

Cleaning the board

And this is where I am now.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Nice work on the headliner, on your door locks , probably going to nee new lock mechanisms/motors, they're old and tired.
Nice project.:icon_thumby:

CKRobin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is an update. Now to get door locks and a/c fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty damn cool

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals