• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

frame

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
hope i'm in the right forum.the rear frame is rusted real bad would like to replace the frame from back of cab to rear bumper. is the frames all the same on extend a cabs. and all the stander cabs the same would like to get a donor frame. are the 4wd frames and 2wd the same or different. my is a 2002 4x4 extend a cab Ranger. what do i need to look for as a donor frame. thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not familiar with anything newer than 1993, however I read a lot....
AFAIK you need to find the same basic truck as you have. IE; 4x4 extended cab. I believe 98 and up will work. 4x4 and 2wd use different front suspensions.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Very generally speaking the 83-97 frames are about the same, there were major changes in 98 and they stayed about the same until end of production in 2011. For your 2002 you will need to use a 1998+ frame.

There are three frame lengths in this time frame
1) Regular Cab Short Bed
2) Regular Cab Long Bed
3) Extended Cab Short Bed

In each of those you had 2 versions primarily referenced by the front suspension style:
A) Torsion Bar (all 4wd and some 2wd)
B) Coil spring (only 2wd)

If you want to replace the entire frame of your truck you will need to find an extended cab torsion bar frame.

If you want to replace only the rear half of your frame it may be possible with the proper measuring and cutting to use either of the short bed frame options and 2wd or 4wd won't matter.

I'm not sure of the year when it began, but some 98+ Rangers used 2 piece frame rails that were riveted together (IIRC) right at the front spring hangar. If you separate the frame there you should be able to use either a regular cab short bed or an extended cab as a donor. Use appropriately sized grade 8 hardware to join it back together.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
1998 and up short bed frame is what you need. If it’s only bad from the front leaf spring hanger, any short bed frame will do in that year range. There are 8 rivets holding the frame sections together. 2 top, 2 bottom, and 4 through the hanger. There is also a crossmember there that holds the rear gas tank strap and the muffler. If you need more frame than that, you’ll need an extended cab frame and either do a cut and weld or get a full 4x4 frame. If you cut and weld, make sure it’s done right with a good welder and fish plate over the repair.

Torch or grind the rivets down and beat them out or drill them out if you go that route. Replace with grade 8 bolts.

I just did this with my one Ranger earlier this year, be prepared for a bit of work. I got the rear frame section from an extended cab 2wd because it was in beautiful shape and the cab and bed was stripped off it already, making my job easier to get what I needed.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals