• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 switch or control module???

theforce2723

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I am new to the list. I purchased a 2006 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4.0L with auto transmission with 58K miles. When I purchased it the 4wd worked fine. While trying to put it into 4Hi, nothing happens. So far I have checked the fuses and pulled the negative battery cable for 6 minutes, to no avail. I do not hear the clicking of the switch nor do I hear the motor under the vehicle engage or move. When started, the 4x4 hi and 4x4 low lights come on and go off as they should. I contacted the previous owner and he told me that it happened once before and he just pulled the battery cable to "reset" it. Does this sound like the switch or the control module? I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that had the same problem. I simply pulled and replaced the 4x4 fuse when I had the problem over the course of 2 years and it worked. Eventually the 4x4 Control Module went out and had to be replaced. Where is the control module located in this vehicle? I am asking because my search of the forum threads brought up older Explorer/Ranger 4x4 questions about this. I don't see many posts regarding a 2006 so I figured I would ask. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Brad
theforce2723@yahoo.com

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's hard to say for sure without a proper diag but I can say that the 4x4 modules on the 2002 and newer Rangers and Explorers are a pretty common failure. Why they went to a stand-alone module with the relays and everything built in is beyond me. The old sysytems controlled by the gem hardly ever have a problem. Your 4x4 module is behind the radio on a 2006.

Last edited:

theforce2723

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
update...

Thanks for the info. After arriving at work today ( 65 mile) commute I tried the 4wd again. Worked fine. I did scan it today and no codes were present. If the problem is intermittent, is it more likely to be a switch or the control module? I was going to throw a switch in it to eliminate the cheaper of the 2, but I hear control modules can be intermittent while they are in the process of going bad...

theforce2723

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another update. Buddy of mine used to work at a Ford dealership and he told me that some of these need to be backed up about 10 feet or so. In reverse after being taken out of 4wd. I've done this 10 times in the last 2 days and 4wd works fine. Does this sound right? I've had 4wd in the past that had to be backed up to unlock the front hubs. Thoughts??

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That was true with the old auto hubs but you don't have them. Your axles are bolted directly into the front hub/wheel flanges like a front wheel drive car and they turn all the time.

TwoTrackMind

Reaction score
in my truck mostly, but I do hit the house in Mich
Vehicle Year
1998 et al
Make / Model
Ford/AutoZone
Engine Size
3.0L at best
Transmission
Manual
Ive had problems with my transfer case not shifting and it was because of the electric motor. It would occasionally go slightly past where the internal switches made contact, so when I wanted it to go back, the computer thought it was already there and nothing happened. If I waited a while, I guess it cooled enough then started working.

Of course I didn't know all this right away, only after I cut the wires and hooked up a toggle switch circuit to the motor and had the same problem. I then had to wire in a bypass push button to get it to work at those times. I looked at several other motors and they have the same problem so I'm not recommending replacing the motor but It may work. The system I have now has worked fine for me for years, though I couldn't imagine explaining to my daughter how to operated it.

In retrospect, I suppose the push button bypass is all that was needed, but I have other advantages now - I can put the transfer case in Neutral, a handy little theft deterrent..

Last edited:

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After using Google I'm resurrecting an old discussion here, but the problem expressed by the OP seems similar to my present dilemma.

My truck is a 2010 XLT extra cab with the 4.0L V6, and the usual Ford 4WD switch on the dash.

Yesterday (Monday, 10/09/17) I was exiting a somewhat overgrown with grass gravel driveway and switched my truck into 4wd. I was pulling a trailer with my Gold Wing motorcycle on it so the trailer plus the bike probably weighs around 1,600 lbs.

The 4x4 Hi light did not come on, but it pulled the grade without any traction control clicking from the rear end. I'm almost certain that even though the light did not come on that it went into 4x4 Hi, because otherwise I would have spun the rear tires.

After I got out on the hard top road and straightened out I switched it back into 2wd and still, no lights.

Later in the morning I stopped at a level place, put it in neutral, and switched it to 4wd Lo. Still no light, and when I put it into drive I could tell it did not go into the low range.

All of the dash lights are working when I first turn on the key and start the engine.

Then - today I switched it into 4wd high and the on indicator light came on, but I couldn't tell that it was actually on and engaged.

What do I need to do to run this down and get it fixed?

Suggestions, wisdom, or steps towards resolving this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was having intermittent problems with mine, mine is a 98 though. Sometimes it would work sometimes just click click then flashing 4wd lights. I'd suggest if you have access to a junkyard go get a few of the 4wd control modules and try before you buy a new one, I'm not sure about yours but it's probably behind the radio a little bit towards the left as you sit in the truck. Disconnect the battery and try swapping it and try it before putting the radio back in. You can also try unbolting the shift motor off the transfer case and have someone switch the knob to 4hi, 4lo and 2wd as you hold the motor and see if it moves. Good luck..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals