• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing a 2000lb popup?

Reddleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 3.0/5-speed standard cab with 3.73 open and 120k miles on it. I'd be using a real hitch and electric trailer brakes, not just the bumper.

So the 3.0 is running well, but would this comfortably tow a 2000lb (total-with gear) Aliner hard top pop-up camper? It's ok according to Ford, this combo is between 2400-2600lbs tow rated. Never tried towing with this Ranger, so not sure whether to bother to upgrade to the hitch/7 pin wiring etc. or if it would be better to just consider another truck or smaller camper.

I could swap in a 4.10 rear before summer, but I'm not sure how much better this would be.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
4.10s would be a lot nicer for towing, but if the truck is rated for 24-2600 lbs than a 2K pop up should be ok. Maybe not fun, but ok.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Depends where you live and your definition of good.

I towed my 32ft 7000 lb travel trailer with a 77 F250 with an emission choked 400 making a whopping 169hp and 325ftlbs (granted, its at 1600rpm :) ), a power hogging C6, and a 3.07 rear axle (good call ford).

It did the job, but if i lived in the mountains or i wanted to keep 55 up a hill, it was foot on the floor and watch the speedo dive backwards.

My 97 460 fixed this issue :)

But either way, the 3.0 is somewhat meager on low end torque to begin with, but with a 3.73 and a 5speed i think youll do ok, just dont expect to be showing off in the hammer lane with the smokey strokers.

Take it easy, take it slow, like you should do anyways towing stuff, and enjoy the ride. With a popup frontal wind resistance isnt really an issue. I say go for it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't worry about it. I towed a big pop up with my 96 5 speed 4 cyl ranger. it did rather fine. my 99 3.0 automatic would do fine as well. I don't have a pop up but I have a 6x8 trailer that I load with firewood. trailer weighs 680 pounds empty. I'm sure I have had it over 2000 pounds with firewood stacked 2 feet high across a 6x8 area. my truck does have a hitch and tow package but it does fine. Also, the trailer has no brakes and its really not that bad. here's a picture of my trailer empty.hills can be slow but that's expected with a small 2wd truck. I would just get a 4-7way adapter.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2¢ on trailer brakes:

Ranger alone stops in 185' according to test from '00 (Popular Science, I believe).

For the following, I am using:
Regular Cab, Short bed 4x2 with ABS. So, truck weighs ~3,500lbs with driver and passenger (using SAE std of 150lb person).

13% tongue weight = 325 lbs for 2500lb trailer. (With battery, propane and cargo added to dry hitch weight this isn't unreasonable for Aliner) If you are less than 13%, stopping distances will increase, if you are greater (or you put more "cargo" in the truck box), braking with be closer to without trailer).

Trailer brakes are ~75% as effective as truck brakes - trailer tires being harder, you don't want to lock trailer brakes as that sets up situation for jack-knife to occur, controller application won't be instantaneous.

I did not consider fade. But Rangers are notorious for fading under repeated/extended braking.

Adding a trailer of 2,500lbs takes you right up to the 6,000lb GCWR.*

If the trailer is unbraked, the stopping distance goes to 291' (>100' further than truck alone)!

If the trailer is braked, the stopping distance goes to 202' (17' further than truck alone, but ~90' shorter than unbraked trailer).

*Reddleman: You need to take care not to exceed the GCWR - Max trailer is for truck with no options, only driver, etc. Max trailer needs to be deducted by passenger(s), options (air conditioning, etc).

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
pop ups and aliners have way different tongue weight ratios than normal campers. most pop ups and aliners set the axle damn near in the center of the trailer. i know that they say its still 10-15% but thats not true. also it depends on what height your hitch ball is at. if your ball is higher than the trailers tongue when trailer is level then you are moving weight to the rear of the camper being at that angle. then more weight if you have the trailer angle downward in the front. i've towed a lot of stuff with out trailer brakes and a ranger with a pop up is not that bad. just dont drive like a dumbass and you will be fine. if you drive like dale earnhardt then you will have issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals