• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C compressor question

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's in the teens outside and my compressor is running while in defrost or blending with floor heat. My owners guide says it shouldn't run under 50 deg. Where is the thermostat or temp control for the clutch? I wonder if someone didn't just bypass it. I'm the 2nd owner but I don't know who worked on it before. Thanks

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
a lot of newer systems run the compressor during defrost because

A) it keeps oil on the seals so they don't shrink up and leak

and

B) by running the compressor, your evaporator is causing moisture in your cab to condense on it and drain out the bottom of the evap box. This reduces enhances the defrost by reducing the amount of water that is available to condense on your windshield and windows.

There is a low pressure switch near the accumulator that will cut off the compressor if the suction pressure gets low enough that the compressor shouldn't operate. There's a possibility that someone could have bypassed it if the switch broke and wasn't allowing the AC to come on. I'm not familiar with the layout on a '97 but on my '90 the accumulator is right in front of the evaporator/heater box and the switch is right in the line coming out of the top of the accumulator. If the switch has nothing plugged into it or you find the plug with a jumper, then it's been bypassed. If it's not bypassed, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'm an engineer for a manufacturer of commercial and industrial air conditioning systems, in case you were wondering whether this random guy on the internet knows what he's talking about. :D

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm an ex HVAC tech myself and also a shadetree mechanic. Went to GM Training Center in Pittsburgh when I was younger so I know what you're talking about. I didn't want to try to show what I know(which humbley.. a lot of people know more). I know some vehicles definately have a temp switch and my owners guide says my 97 has one but I can't find it.My Chiltons don't show it in the wiring diagrams. I know why the Compressor runs in defrost mode also. I'm a little rusty so I guess I'll have to trace the wiring out and see. I just don't see an A/C system working efficiently in the teens when it is designed to work at it's best when it's summertime.I guess a little dehumidifying is helpful anyway.Thanks for your post. Anybody else?

Little Red

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Littlehorse, I found this on my Ford CD that I forgot I had. See, I told you I'm gettin' rusty. Now I know where to look.
(The A/C cycling switch (19E561) is mounted on a Schrader valve-type fitting on the side of the suction accumulator/drier (19C836) in Aerostar vehicles, and on the top of the suction accumulator/drier in Ranger and Explorer vehicles. A valve depressor, located inside the threaded end of the A/C cycling switch, depresses the Schrader valve stem as the A/C cycling switch is mounted and allows the suction pressure inside the accumulator/drier housing to control operation. The electrical contacts are normally open when the suction pressure is at or below 23±1 psi; they will close when the suction pressure rises to approximately 40-60 psi or above. Lower ambient temperatures (below 8°C or 46°F), during cold weather seasons, will also open the contacts due to the pressure/temperature relationship of the refrigerant in the system.) The compressor cycles normally in summer so the switch is functioning. Why it won't open in winter is the question. No big deal, just cabin fever setting in. I need something to tinker with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals