• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Catalytic Converter Problem

Texasgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have just replaced the catalytic converter in my 1997 Ford Ranger for the 3 time. I had a rebuilt engine put in 2 years ago. The people at the shop that replaced the catalytic converter told me I should never have to replace it again (they told me this the last two times as well). The engine light goes off and on at different times. I was having problems with the truck dying and not staying on a few months after the installation of the new motor and took it to another shop. They could not figure out the problem and finally bypassed my computer. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do besides just drive it off a cliff???

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like too lean or too rich....resulting in a plugged converter. How do you 'bypass' the computer? Not sure what the heck they meant by that! It needs the computer to run because it is EFI. Converters should last alot longer than yours are.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the check-engine light is EVER on (or even if it isn't), run the self tests. It may give you a direction to check.

It's not unheard of for catalytic converters to get done in by a chronically weak body ground. For instance. It needs diagnosis.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anything going through the exhaust that is not supposed to will damage the cat. Oil,antifreeze,raw fuel.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
knowing how the cat converters are supposedly failing will help. are they fouling out? plugging up? melting? what?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We had a Cavalier that went through TWO catalytic convertors in less than 6 months because the oil control rings had failed, so the engine was pumping oil through the convertor and wrecking it.

From up here, it sounds like you may be dealing with a similar issue--something is getting into your exhaust that doesn't belong there!

Texasgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
knowing how the cat converters are supposedly failing will help. are they fouling out? plugging up? melting? what?
Every time I have to replace the cat converter, it is dislodging from its housing and lodging in the muffler, causing me to have to replace the muffler as well. As for how the computer got bypassed, I have no idea. That's just what the mechanics told me. The mechanic's ordered a computer (supposedly) but decided it wasn't going to fix the problem and so did not install it. The problem I was having was the truck would not stay on. I took it to the shop and after two weeks, they called me and said it was ready. I got in it to drive off, and again it wouldn't stay on. After a few more days they told me they had bypassed it and it was working, but that I would never be able to have it tested or diagnosed. I have been told before it could be burning too lean, but how is that adjusted?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I think they are blowing smoke up your ass. A 97 Ranger wont run without the computer.

Did they bypass the cat maybe?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And if the cat is disintegrating, perhaps it's melting. Rich mixtures can do that -- I've seen a cat glowing red hot at simple low speed cruise, from a loose spark plug wire (causing a misfire in one cylinder). Just the fuel from that made it glow. And though this was an OBD-I vehicle, it had a downstream oxygen sensor, and didn't trip the CEL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals