• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear brakes lock up.

Von

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi All...so here is my problem, I have a '95 Ranger and recently the right rear brake has starting locking up when I barely apply the brakes. It seems to only happen first thing in the morning or after the truck has been sitting during the day. After that first skid the problem goes away. I have had both the front and rear brakes checked and the pads, rotors and drums are fine. I was told it might be the "proportioning valve".

Has anyone heard of that before?

Thanks!
Von:annoyed:p

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Welcome to the Forum Von!

I've had that happen before. It's either one of two things. 1) On occasion, with the moisture in the air overnight the surfaces get rusty and grab. Once that initial stop is made, and they get a little cleaned off, they stop relatively as normal. Or 2) the parking brake cable is sticking, and the little bit of movement once you hit the brakes is enough to un-stick it a bit. At least enough it doesn't lock immediately.

The proportioning valve works front to rear, not side to side. I doubt it's that. So the right rear is in fact the Passenger Rear correct? (just need to be 100% sure). If so, that's also the lightest part of a Ranger, and most prone to skidding/slipping.

Also (sorry, I do have to mention this), but we have a specific section for brake related issues. Questions have a much better chance of being answered when in the correct forum. This is more for 4 cylinder specific engine related issues, not necessarily for 4 cylinder trucks.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

But you're new so I'll cut ya some slack lol. :icon_thumby:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Von, I would completely rebleed & flush the entire brake hydraulic system. Moisture, rust, air bubbles can accumulate.

Von

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks All!

Thanks for the information! And I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum. Thanks again all.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the information! And I didn't realize I was in the wrong forum. Thanks again all.
Moved it to the brakes forum, welcome to TRS!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford had a TSB for Ranger rear brakes locking up. The had you spray under coating on the out of the rear backing plates to help seal them up, also may sure you're not missing the rubber plugs that seal the adjuster access holes. The first thing I would do is close inspection of the rear brakes for any thing worn, broken parts, leaking or seize wheel cylinders. If everything looks good sand the rear brake shoes and drums and taper the lead and trailing edges of the shoes if the shoe lining edges are square cut. Also make sure your rear shoes are adjusted correctly. I go with just a very slight drag on the drum. If all of this fails Ford also had a TBS for update rear shoes to stop the lock up problem. They seemed to be boxed wrong when I first saw them. One shoe is bonded and one is riveted. The shoes did work in stopping the lock up on every Ranger I installed they on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals