• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger/Bronco2/Explorer REAR brake upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepman401

Reaction score
First, there is NO junkyard. cheap, bolt-on disc brake upgrade for Rangers or Bronco2's.

If you have a '91-94 Explorer with drums the '95-01 Discs DO bolt directly onto the '91-94 Explorer drum brake axle.

The only two practical ways of putting discs onto a Ranger/B2 are either with a complete aftermarket kit OR swapping in a '95-01 Disc brake Explorer axle.

there are however easily accomplished upgrades that work NEARLY as well for less effort:

If your early Ranger Bronco2 has 9" drums upgrading to 10" drums is a suprisingly effective alternative. search the junkyard for either a later ranger, or even easier an Aerostar to serve as a donor.

If you already HAVE 10" drums (most '88-up supercabs, 4x4's and '91-94 explorers) improved fade resistance is as easy as replacing your "smooth"
10" drums with the heavier "finned" drums that are specified for the '93-97 Aerostar.

ONE-MORE-TIME
Other than welding or an expensive aftermarket kit there is no easy or cheap way to put discs onto a Ranger. Many have tried, all (so far) have failed.

AllanD

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
would like to add that at one time there was a write up of a late 80's (i think) mustang 7.5 disc swap onto a ranger 7.5 that involved cutting and drilling a bracket to bolt to the axle, no welding was required. if anybody has this info or could fill in the details, that would be good

Jeepman401

Reaction score
Sorry, I was looking for that one when I got banned

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had an '84 lincoln continental 7.5 and disc brakes. Somebody stole it before I could try it on my Ranger. It was 5x4.5. (same as Ranger)
All my old Rangers have been upgraded to 10" drums.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
but still the 96 explorer axle is worth the $34 it cost to have the perches flipped just to get the the better axle. Disc brakes were just a bennefit of the axle.

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 B2 that I want to put 1991 Explorer brakes on as I am told they are 10" drums/ First off, is this TRUE & if so, what is needed to do the upgrade. I've read the Explorer drums brakes are much more efficient then the B2 stock drum brakes. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks I am also searching for a thread that would help me in upgrading the stock electric front hubs to manual WARNER hubs that I have on a donated 1991 Explorer. Anyone know where that thread might be found? I'm NEW to this forum & still trying to find my way around. Thanks again.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you having a problem with your Bronco II brakes?

If you can lock them up with the RABS connector disengaged, no change to your braking system can possibly improve them.

I never had a problem braking in my 1986 Bronco II. Exploders have bigger brakes (SOMEtimes) because they weigh quite a lot more than Bronco IIs and therefore have better traction on the same tires and tire pressures.

My advice is to fix ACTUAL observed problems, and do without pointless upgrades. If you have a problem, you're much better off repairing stock -- if you ever take it to a mechanic or sell it to someone else, you won't get "WTF" phone calls.

TRUNK_MONKEY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep
Transmission
Automatic
most people dont know

or care,when you increase tire size,you need to increase braking ability.whatever percentage over stock you go in tire size,you need to upgrade the same in brakes as well.11 in drums are a great start for the rear.better fronts can be done with either better components or totally swapping them for bigger better performing units.
IE 35 in tires with stock brakes--you prolly lost 30% of your braking ability.
disc is great and all,but the drum brake is just fine and alive and well.in good condition the 11's will be more than good enuff to hold your vehicle and do the rear brake chores.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
IF you can lock the tires, you do not need even the slightest additional braking power. It is NOT in proportion.

And no Bronco II has electric front hubs. Very few of them have axles that any Explorer hubs will fit.

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been told by my local Ford dealer that the ABS module is not serviceable. Is this true? Is there a rebuild kit available or can it be taken apart & cleaned? I have NO FLUID at all going to the distribution block mounted on the rear axle that feeds the rear brakes. And if the ABS module can be cleaned, is there any special tools needed? Will the ABS module on a 1991 Explorer work on a 1990 Bronco II? Need some advice on what to do.

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
Just to throw it out there you can fairly easily put mustang disks on the back of a ranger. There are multiple places to get the bracket, like fortes or north race car. its about $150 for the bracket. bolts inplace of the backing plate, and uses the cobra 12inch rotors. rotors you can get for $50 or more depending on where you get them and calipers can be had for between $25 at a junkyard to $200 brand new. for the line, you bend it to run next to the leaf spring and bolt it to 03 cobra soft lines, that then bolt right to the caliper. the cheapest? no. Easy? yes. But I wouldnt do it unless your also planning on cobras in the front.

*EDIT* forgot to add, the parking brake is pretty easy to get hooked back up and working. I used the stock cables even. I cant get any pictures though, My truck is in storage while I am in iraq.

Last edited:

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wouldnt it be easier to swap in an FX4 level 2 rear out of a 99-07 ranger they are already disc brake and bolt right up

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wouldnt it be easier to swap in an FX4 level 2 rear out of a 99-07 ranger they are already disc brake and bolt right up
The FX4 31 spline axles started in '02. The NEVER came with disc brakes, they had 10" drums like every other Ranger. There NEVER was a Ranger with factory disc brakes.

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
heres my "cheap junk yard" disk conversion

first i found a rear axle out of a 95 crown vic.

next tear it down to get the caliper brackets off the axle flanges.

machine the rotors

this is where it gets tricky
the bolt pattern of the brackets is a tad different then the small bearing ranger axle so some grinding and welding was needed. seems the newer 28 spline small bearing crown vic axles have the matching bolt pattern, i got this 1995 axle for 100 bucks.

finished product. i welded the four corners. i dont care if its permanent.

i have been driving on this for about 6 months, zero problems and it no longer grabs and or feels like the rear axle is coming out when i first use the brakes after it rains or sits overnight.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
93 cobra/ turbo coupe rear disks work fairly well i did them on my 94 ext cab. im going to do them on my 08 fx4 soon. you use the 11.95'' rotor from the turbo coupe the turbo coupe brake soft lines and cobra calipers. the brackets will bolt right up but in my case i had to "flip them side to side and notch them both for the inside of the flange. i used the drum hardware to bult them up. i ended up having to ship the caliper mount where the pad carrier sits with a washer on both sides to make everything track perfect. lasted 25k miles with no problems. i never did work out the ebrake's tho but i had a plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals