• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can anyone recomend a good tire for my truck?

Mike Tonon

2007 Ranger 4x4 4.10 gears manual. Used mainly for a daily driver, but also to do some light snow plowing. I have BFGoodrich All-Terrain 31 10.5 15 tires on it now. I'm thinking something a little smoother and narrower. Something a little quieter on the highway and will get me slightly better mpg's. Maybe a smaller size?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am very happy with the tires I use when not off-road, They are Michelin LTX M/S 31x10.5-15. They work well in snow but I don't know how they would do with snow plowing. Chains should improve that.

I got over 80,000 miles out of my first set and they still had some useable tread left. I just don't like tires that start to get thin on tread because they hydroplane easier. They are very quiet and definitely improved my gas mileage a little over the 31x10.5-15 BFG AT tires that came with my Ranger.

Of course the tread is not as aggressive as an AT tire but still more aggressive than a typical street tire. They would not do as well in deep snow as an AT but I have been in medium snow with about 1/4 tread left and they did well. The Michelins are not cheap but I think they save money in the long run because the wear so well.

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try 235-75-15 size (29" tall). Narrower than 10.5 by an inch or so. Many are P rated and not LT rated but I haven't had any trouble with mine anywhere I've gone with my 31's. U will get maybe 1-1.5 better MPG over the 31's. But then again I have 3.21 gears and U have 4.10's so who knows.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have had a few tires on my truck over the years, and none have matched the all around performance of the BFG AT. I have had tires that gripped as well but were much louder and didn't ride or wear as well, and I have had tires that were on par with the BFG for ride and noise but had no where near the traction.

I have never had a noise issue with the ATs, and one thing I cannot stand at all on a vehicle is tire noise. The drone puts me to sleep while I am driving.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Running a 29" tire with 4.10 gears is not a good combination. I went to 4.56 gears when I went to 33" BFG MT for off-road. Now ,when I put the 31" tires back on for pavement I feel the gearing is too low. Freeway and Interstate driving result in higher rpm than I would like and my gas mileage dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg around town compared to what it got with the 4.10 gears.

I have run BFG AT tires on two Rangers and one FJ55 Landcruiser totaling up to over 300,000 miles. They are reasonably quite when new but I think they get annoyingly noisy when the tread get on the low side. No where near as bad as MT tires but still noisy.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Try these

http://tirefactory.com/4th/Product-Details/KE357510286

They are a new tire from Kelly and have been holding up quite well for many of my customers.

Here is some info from in the industry

The Kelly Edge AT, which replaces the Kelly Safari ATR, will be offered in 36 sizes ranging from 15- to 20-inches in rim diameter. Goodyear said 23 sizes will be offered during the third quarter of 2015, with the remaining sizes coming in the back half of 2016.

Features of the Edge AT include flared tread block edges to help shovel away mud, dirt and gravel for off-road traction. The tire includes a 50,000-mile/80,000-kilometer treadwear warranty.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Running a 29" tire with 4.10 gears is not a good combination. I went to 4.56 gears when I went to 33" BFG MT for off-road. Now ,when I put the 31" tires back on for pavement I feel the gearing is too low. Freeway and Interstate driving result in higher rpm than I would like and my gas mileage dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg around town compared to what it got with the 4.10 gears.

I have run BFG AT tires on two Rangers and one FJ55 Landcruiser totaling up to over 300,000 miles. They are reasonably quite when new but I think they get annoyingly noisy when the tread get on the low side. No where near as bad as MT tires but still noisy.
with a 4.0 I agree, if he has a 3.0 that is a good combo
Mike, what engine?

Mike Tonon

Thanks everyone, I currently don't shift to 5th until I hit about 65+, so I might be able to go a little smaller with tires. I also don't drive much. The only reason I'm looking into new tires, is because they're dry rotted, because they're about 9 years old. They still have 30+ percent tread.

with a 4.0 I agree, if he has a 3.0 that is a good combo
Mike, what engine?
4.0L

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Tonon

Try these

http://tirefactory.com/4th/Product-Details/KE357510286

They are a new tire from Kelly and have been holding up quite well for many of my customers.

Here is some info from in the industry

The Kelly Edge AT, which replaces the Kelly Safari ATR, will be offered in 36 sizes ranging from 15- to 20-inches in rim diameter. Goodyear said 23 sizes will be offered during the third quarter of 2015, with the remaining sizes coming in the back half of 2016.

Features of the Edge AT include flared tread block edges to help shovel away mud, dirt and gravel for off-road traction. The tire includes a 50,000-mile/80,000-kilometer treadwear warranty.
I'm thinking these tires might be ideal. Slightly less boxy, unlike the BFG's, maybe helping with mpg's and noise???

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Definately quieter than the BFG tires. (which are overrated IMO)

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Michelin LTX M/S is a good all season tire. Very reliable on different road conditions and wears well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals