• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking from Exhaust

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 99 xlt ranger and for some reason it seams that my exhaust is leaking a black substance.....To me it looks like oil but it is coming back out from my mufflers......I don't see any smoke coming out of the vehicle but yet again I didn't drive it anywere I just had the vehicle on.......my tranny was replaced about 2 months ago but it seems to be running just fine and everything just don't know what that would be....Maybe it is just because it is cracking along the exhaust and fluid got in there but yeah just thought I would see what yall would have to say.

CajunPwnStar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
1.) Could just be water mixing with the soot from the exhaust.

2.) Could be bad piston rings causing the oil to enter through an exhaust valve.

Easy way to check the latter is by doing a compression test. Which engine do you have?

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 3.0l but not the flex version......That's what im hoping it is is just moisture mixing with the pipe to get that soot.....

CajunPwnStar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
for some reason it isn't leaking at all now Im guessing it was just some kind of moisture from the last snow storm or something I have no idea but it is running just fine now thank you for your help.

kurtis

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals