• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I would still try to get help carrying one around , I did mine by my self and got a hernia from it( not fun).
No, carrying 260 lbs is a bad idea, as you found out. I have the bottoms of old grocery carts to pack heavy weights around. But to wrestle one around under the truck is an altogether different kind of pain. So far my favorite way to lift one up to the suspension is to use ratchet straps.
Previously I've always played with F & R D44s. Much easier. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Rowdy, are you still thinking about the 558 lb 14 bolt under your rig? I figure with 38's and beadlocks your probably getting close to a half ton there. Not too much lighter than Rocks, really. Weight starts becoming a factor on the rest of the truck with that. Sure they aren't likely to break but your 302 works harder to shove it.

I've never contemplated the 609's for mine. Even a jy built one is gonna carry a big expense. The speed I seem to gather money I'd never get the truck done if I started that.

I actually think built 1/2 ton axles would survive but I'd hate to have to hike away from my ride if I was wrong. I believe well chosen parts in D60's will survive anything I can throw at them. (And yes, I've heard of guys with 2.9's that blow them up.) :icon_confused:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
No I'm gonna go with the rear 609 lol. I've got a D60 for the front just rusting away so I finger I better make it happen.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
No I'm gonna go with the rear 609 lol. I've got a D60 for the front just rusting away so I finger I better make it happen.
Seems like a horrific amount of work to make a 9" into a "junkyard" full floater axle. After that you'd quickly find the limits of the factory stamped housing, and low pinion center chunk not to mention any machine work and backyard welding. The 9" and 60 pieces don't exactly fit together easily. You'll need to lathe the 60 housing ends to fit, then jig the parts perfectly together using an axle or axle slug with a housing jig to get it all square and true or you'd forever be blowing bearings or eating axle shafts. Speaking of those, they'd have to be made custom regardless.
For me, the 609 (or 9-14) are great ideas that die in the details and expenses. I'm not trying to squash your plans but research the hell out of it first. You might find a regular 1 ton axle fits the budget better. Then again you might find a 609 on Ebay that totally suits you. Ya never know.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With Dynatrac and Currie being a 4ish hour drive each way (for me, not all people can save on shipping) the possibility of a custom axle build has some merit. I might go that way if I do a 60 front. By the time I buy a 60 housing, gears locker, new bearings brakes and steering I am getting close to just buying a complete axle. I haven't priced it lately but last time I looked there wasn't much of a cost difference when all was added up.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
With Dynatrac and Currie being a 4ish hour drive each way (for me, not all people can save on shipping) the possibility of a custom axle build has some merit. I might go that way if I do a 60 front. By the time I buy a 60 housing, gears locker, new bearings brakes and steering I am getting close to just buying a complete axle. I haven't priced it lately but last time I looked there wasn't much of a cost difference when all was added up.
I just checked Dynatrac and Currie's websites and pricing wasn't on either menu. Interestingly, Currie rear 60's are semi-float. Both companies seem geared towards providing primarily Jeep replacement axles.
I'm not down on custom axles, if I could afford one I'd do it but my budget doesn't work that way. Essentially, about 6 months a year I do fairly well, the other 6, well... :annoyed:
Hopefully in a few months I'll be the only one on the internet dumb enough to put a Dodge axle under the front of a Ranger. It has to get a van axle under the back first though. (I just reread those sentences and no, I'm not high. lol)
Man, I wish I had your fab skills, Matt.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Ruff stuff has a 9" jig, and a set of weld on flanges that accepts D60 front spindles. I'll take the 9" housing to the local blacksmith and have him true up the ends of the tubes. Then I'll mount it all together, slide a piece of DOM through the spindles and weld the flanges on.
Chromolly shafts can be bought for $300-500.
Then I'll put the ruff stuff armor on the 9". I figure I can have it done for under $1000 not counting a locker. I might have a lead on a 9" with a 35 spline Detroit.
If he didn't sell it...

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
This: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ruffstuff&Product_Code=R1980&Category_Code=FORD9HOS is way over the top pricewise unless you were to build axles for other people commercially.
IDK if you have any webpages or sales papers locally selling used racing stuff? The 9" is THE axle for drag and circle track racing so its worth a try. I found this on Racingjunk.com http://www.racingjunk.com/Rear-Ends/182388581/9-FORD-REAR-END-HOUSINGS-AXLES-Custom-Length.html
Just another option for parts...

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
There are tons of companies that build shafts. I'll just order some for a D60 then have them custom cut and splined for a 9".

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
3rd breakdown of the Exploder dd yesterday coming home from work. And having 3 1/2 hours to think about it waiting for a tow truck I decided to yank the 5.0 / 4R70W from it and drop them into the Ranger.
But not immediately. Still gotta go to work Monday. So likely have to fix the thing again. But this is where its going.
Starting after dads estate completes I'm looking for a used Ford SD. Easily the best vehicle I ever owned before.

Already have a BW 4406 manual t case for the Ranger swap.

All breakdowns of the Sploder have been electrical / fuel related and shouldn't be a problem in the Ranger.

So the engine, trans, t case and computer for the Ranger are chosen. I'm going to try to work the dash and overhead console in too.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Sounds like a good plan bud!

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a rear Dana 60 HD tonight. I'll post pix tomorrow.
I'll also figure out where the BOM is and identify it.

(Yes, I bought it. $150. Its in the Sploder. lol)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals