• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad fuel or bad pump?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i started to notice occaisionally from a dead stop my b2 would bog down and fall on its face when trying to accelerate then after a moment would be fine. so i replaced the fuel filter now 3-4 weeks later i went for a drive and filled it up with 3 gallons of non ethanol 91 octane and 5 gallons of regular.( it was a little low on fuel so i figured it was pickin crap up out of the tank from using seafoam)

it ran decent after that. I drove around a while longer and shut it off in a parking lot for 30 mins. went to start it and it would run for 2-3 seconds then die. eventually it started and i went for home. it was low on power and popped out of the tailpipe.. died 200 yards from my house.. luckily neighbors where outside and gave me a push. got it home and poked the shrader valve on the fuel rail and it had fuel pressure and could hear the pump but engine wouldnt run... the next day it starts and runs fine. :icon_confused: Could it be bad fuel or possibly my pump starting to give out? not sure where to start checking stuff.

Last edited:

xlt88

Reaction score
It sounds like your TFI module. Check some of the thread regarding the ignition control module. Usually if your TFI is going bad when it's hot the engine dies and when it cools off the engine will start again.

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i started to notice occaisionally from a dead stop my b2 would bog down and fall on its face when trying to accelerate then after a moment would be fine. so i replaced the fuel filter now 3-4 weeks later i went for a drive and filled it up with 3 gallons of non ethanol 91 octane and 5 gallons of regular.( it was a little low on fuel so i figured it was pickin crap up out of the tank from using seafoam)

it ran decent after that. I drove around a while longer and shut it off in a parking lot for 30 mins. went to start it and it would run for 2-3 seconds then die. eventually it started and i went for home. it was low on power and popped out of the tailpipe.. died 200 yards from my house.. luckily neighbors where outside and gave me a push. got it home and poked the shrader valve on the fuel rail and it had fuel pressure and could hear the pump but engine wouldnt run... the next day it starts and runs fine. :icon_confused: Could it be bad fuel or possibly my pump starting to give out? not sure where to start checking stuff.

I am not the best at these because I am not a mechanic.

None the less, why do you feel the fuel system is the culprit?

I would first find all things that can cause this problem, then start to rule out from there based on the information the engine gives you.

From my understanding you have fuel pressure, and the pump is working from the sound of it. Could you have another problem that is causing these issues. Perhaps a sensor?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it had fuel air and spark. at the moment it still runs but not as well as before the whole event. even prior o the event when cold starting it wont start the first inition turn of the key. it will almost always start on the second.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the fuel rail is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it has a vacuum hose attached, pull off the hose and check it for gas or gas smell.
When the FPRs get older the diaphragm can leak and fuel is sucked into the intake causing different issues, bogging, slow starts, flooding out after short time sitting.

The TFI ignition systems get heat sensitive as they get older, good read here on checking those out:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals