• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Timing chain & Sprockets delema!

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.9 and im changing the timing chain and gears. I read my chiltons and it said to get the crankshaft sprocket off i have to align the key slot with the locking key on the crankshaft tip where the harmonick balancer locks into and press it off but there is no key slot on that sprocket i was woundering if anybody has come across this problem before or if anyone has any tips for me.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you talking about the actual timing chain sprocket or the harmonic balancer itself? After the sprocket is unbolted from the camshaft, the crank sprocket should slide off the crankshaft. At least this is how is was on my '88 2.9L (5.0L was the same way). Been a long time since I've been in there though, I do remember them being on there pretty snug.

Pete

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
its on the front end of the crankshaft. i tried to pry the key out of the way but im almost guessing that it was put in permanently or you have to pull it off with the sprocket which really wouldnt make no sence. so i dont really know what to do it kind of hard to explain.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
sounds like we need some photo identification on this topic.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I agree, need more info. Still not sure where you are, do you have the harmonic balancer and timing cover removed? I looked up the timing set part numbers and they are the same from 86-92, should be similar to what I have seen on my '88.

Pete

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok ill get some pics up here and show ya what i mean but i will try to put them up here by the end of the day if not then i will put them up tomarrow.

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
this is where im at in my dalema

this is the crankshaft that has a key that i cant remove where the harmonic balancer locks into.

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
To get the balancer key out, woodruff key(like a half circle), use a piece of soft metal, brass - aluminum, as a punch to push the sprocket end of the key into the crankshaft. This will cause the front end to raise up. Once the end you push on becomes flush with the crank surface you should be able to pry or drive, with the brass or aluminum, the front end up and out of the crank. With the key out the crank sprocket just slides off. Hope this answers your question

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks buddy. ill give that a try and see where that gets me.

jay jigless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
got it out finally! it took a little bit of elbow greese but i got it. that little s.o.b was in there good.

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you caused any damage to the key when you removed it be sure to remove any burrs or dings it may have acquired before you reinstall it.

88rangr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L FI
Transmission
Automatic
What is the trick to get the timing cover off?

I am also replacing my chain and gears since they have 230,000 miles on my 88 Ranger. I have water pump off and have all the bolts off the cover, at least I think so, where should I pry to break the seal to the block or heads up on hidden bolts, I have all the pan bolts off to the cover too.

Thanks all!

88rangr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L FI
Transmission
Automatic
Yes agreed, it's a half moon, I pulled needed to pull my cover to replace gears and chain, I used a punch and hit the very end down and the back raised up, pulled it out and took the gear off. See my post's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals