• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replaced Crank Sensor on 2.3 But MAJOR PROBLEM!

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the tone wheel where it gets the signal is hitting the sensor... i never dropped the wheel to bend it or anything but when i turn it over by hand it hits at 2 different spots for a slight second barely scraping.

was this from an incorrect torque precedure? i might i could think that i could have a bent wheel possibly but then again this is the 2nd crank sensor of the vehicles life so how could it get bent.

any ideas? or suggestions

thanks

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Get a new signal tone ring. I have had mine out dozens of times, no problems with it so far.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
did you replace just the sensor or the bracket bolted to the block? it just sounds like you need to align the sensor, two little bolts and just slide sensor a little bit until it doesn't hit, rotate the crank to the point where you can see the two vanes passing through the sensor (there's a spot where you can do this) and just visually center the thing, or use a business card folded to 3 thicknesses as a spacer.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the tone wheel where it gets the signal is hitting the sensor... i never dropped the wheel to bend it or anything but when i turn it over by hand it hits at 2 different spots for a slight second barely scraping.

was this from an incorrect torque precedure? i might i could think that i could have a bent wheel possibly but then again this is the 2nd crank sensor of the vehicles life so how could it get bent.

any ideas? or suggestions

thanks
well the tone wheel could be bent, or the crank sensor mounting bracket could be cracked or broken from an impact.

there is a little plastic tool that SHOULD come with your replacement crank sensor. are you taking the crank pulley off the hub so you can adjust the sensor as you turn the hub?

i still have the tool in my toolbox for the next time i need it

Last edited:

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i took at socket and a long 1/2 breaker bar and with little effort broke the bolt loose (which i know ant supposed to happen).
after i got a puller and removed the old pulley and sensor that was broken, never inspecting it i went to put it back on and seen that theres spots that are warped that makes it hit in 2 different spots.
the sensor came with the bracket also but no plastic tool that came with it.

i called advance,o rhiely (cant spell) bennett car quest and napa and none of them carry that plastic tool.

can i get away with not using that tool? i was thinking about trying to find another wheel which all the same stores also didnt carry and just putting it back on and hopin it dont hit.

also i searched and found the article oh how to remove your shifter so if anyone could anwser this one also id appreciate it.

On the write up here
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm

says move the bolt to the other side tighten and it will pull the rod out, reverse precedure when reinstalling.

well i got 2 bolts one on the short one on the long, what one am i tightening?

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i took at socket and a long 1/2 breaker bar and with little effort broke the bolt loose (which i know ant supposed to happen).
after i got a puller and removed the old pulley and sensor that was broken, never inspecting it i went to put it back on and seen that theres spots that are warped that makes it hit in 2 different spots.
the sensor came with the bracket also but no plastic tool that came with it.

i called advance,o rhiely (cant spell) bennett car quest and napa and none of them carry that plastic tool.

can i get away with not using that tool? i was thinking about trying to find another wheel which all the same stores also didnt carry and just putting it back on and hopin it dont hit.

also i searched and found the article oh how to remove your shifter so if anyone could anwser this one also id appreciate it.

On the write up here
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm

says move the bolt to the other side tighten and it will pull the rod out, reverse precedure when reinstalling.

well i got 2 bolts one on the short one on the long, what one am i tightening?
no you can't get away with not using that tool.. i tried to and ended up buying myself a new crank sensor and a tow (i was changing timing belt at school).. i turned the crank and didn't hear any rubbing so i put it back together and started hearing a tapping noise, then the engine died.

it broke the crank sensor AND broke the mounting bracket right off the bolts.

as for the shifter.. you remove the nut then screw it onto the other side and tighten it.. it will pull the bolt out of the shifter

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what side of the nut im asking though, because i tried to tighten it on the shorter side of the threads coming out and it didnt budge then i tried the longer side and it kept on getting loose like it was striping.

as for the alignment tool, where can i purchase one?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The ONLY thing that threads on to the threaded shaft is the nut its self.
You are not the 1st person to make that mistake :) Most remove the shifter retaining torques head screws and take out ball and all because they cant figure it out.

You remove the nut from the dash side of the threaded stud and place it on the seat side ( IE facing the seats ). Then tighten it down and keep tightening it down until the threaded shaft comes loose. Its got a slight taper to it. Installing it with the nut on the dash side draws the taper tighter and tighter. Swapping sides with the nut separates the taper. It may feel like its stripping out but its not. Its just the tapered and threaded shaft slipping out like it is supposed to. Think of it like a ball joint with no ball.

If the alignment tool didn't come with your sensor I would say it will be a special order tool. I would check around ( like Orielies or Advance ) for one that comes with the little plastic alignment tool and take the one that didn't back.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
you don't "need" the tool, like I said earlier, center the vanes on the sensor, I set mine up without the tool over a year ago after modifying my block to mount the sensor ('86 block), about 30K on it since then

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
you don't "need" the tool, like I said earlier, center the vanes on the sensor, I set mine up without the tool over a year ago after modifying my block to mount the sensor ('86 block), about 30K on it since then
so did i. it broke anyway. its just taking a big risk on breaking a new $100 sensor and the mounting bracket

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's why I got a spare at the junkyard... it even survived the crank key and hub getting screwed up (a '86 crank bolt is longer than a '90, but doesn't look it visually...) and wobbling all over...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i didn't use a tool on mine... 40k later. just use some common sense.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals