• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acceleration issues

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
I have a 2006 Ford Ranger XLT 2wd 2.3L automatic. When I press the pedal to go forward in D, it doesn't really get going quicker until about 2500-3000 RPM. Could it be the catalytic converter? My sister said something about the exhaust having an odd smell to it.

How can I tell if it's a problem? So far there are no CELs.

Mark

2006 Ford Ranger XLT
2.3L
Long Bed
Flowmaster exhaust
K&N intake filter

She may not run 10's in the 1/4 mile...but she's my baby!

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
If the exhaust smells like rotten eggs then there is a good chance one of the catalytic converters has failed.

To test for a clogged catalytic converter you can try a few things:

1. Easiest, take the truck for a spin, put in OD and go up a large, long hill fast putting a big load on the engine. Then pull over quickly get out and look under the truck at the cats. Is one or both of them glowing cherry red? If so then "potentially" clogged.

2. Hook up a vacuum gauge, warm up the engine to operating temperature and check the value at idle. It should be anywhere between 17-21 in.Hg.. Then rev the engine up to 2000-2500 RPM and hold it there and watch the vacuum gauge needle. Does the needle slowly drop? If it does then the cat(s) could be clogged. If the needle doesn't drop it doesn't necessarily mean they are not clogged.

3. Purchase or rent an exhaust back pressure gauge. Take out the first o2 sensor and start the engine. If there is more than 1.5psi - 2 psi reading on the gauge then the exhaust is definitely clogged. Could be cats or muffler/resonator.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals