• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 will not take the gas

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for the time being
Transmission
Automatic
Any gas or even the smell of gas in the FPRs vacuum line would mean "replace it".
Only way for gas to get there is thru cracked FPR diaphragm
So I replaced the FPR and it ran really well for all of about 2 miles then it died right out on me again.

I guess now Im looking at a fuel pump? What is the best way to go about this?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump tested at 32psi running which is OK, and with bad FPR to boot, so I wouldn't go there just yet.

'89 2.9l should be using a MAP(manifold absolute pressure) sensor to adjust fuel mix.
The MAP sensor should be on the firewall passenger side toward the center, often behind main wiring harness.
It is small, maybe 2"x2", it will have an electrical connector and a Vacuum hose.
Check that vacuum hose, remove it if needed, and make sure it is air tight.
MAP sensor tells computer the current vacuum in the intake, when you open the throttle the vacuum will go down, MAP/computer sees this and increases fuel based on load.
MAP sensors rarely fail, vacuum hose does
TPS(throttle position sensor) is also part of that increase in fuel as throttle opens.

TFI ignition system can also cause bogging.
When you want to accelerate the spark timing must be advanced to maintain power.
The TFI has a SPOUT(spark out) connector(jumper) that is removed when setting up the base timing(adjusting distributor).
If this has fallen out or pulled out then you may not have spark advance working correctly.
It is usually a 2 wire connector with a gray plastic insert, pull out the insert and put it back in.
Picture of SPOUT connector here: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/93749-1988-ranger-timing.html
Could have a Black base as well

General info and testing TFI system is here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Last edited:

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for the time being
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel pump tested at 32psi running which is OK so I wouldn't go there just yet.

'89 2.9l should be using a MAP sensor to adjust fuel mix.
The MAP sensor should be on the firewall passenger side toward the center, often behind main wiring harness.
It is small, maybe 2"x2", it will have an electrical connector and a Vacuum hose.
Check that vacuum hose, remove it if needed, and make sure it is air tight.
MAP sensor tells computer the current vacuum in the intake, when you open the throttle the vacuum will go down, MAP/computer sees this and increases fuel based on load.
MAP sensors rarely fail, vacuum hose does
TPS(throttle position sensor) is also part of that increase in fuel as throttle opens.

TFI ignition system can also cause bogging.
When you want to accelerate the spark timing must be advanced to maintain power.
The TFI has a SPOUT(spark out) connector(jumper) that is removed when setting up the base timing(adjusting distributor).
If this has fallen out or pulled out then you may not have spark advance working correctly.
It is usually a 2 wire connector with a gray plastic insert, pull out the insert and put it back in.
Picture of SPOUT connector here: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/93749-1988-ranger-timing.html
Could have a Black base as well
Thank you very much. As soon as we get a break in the rain I will get to work.

By what you have said im guessing that fuel pumps aren't often intermittent?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, never ran into that, fuel pump relay can do that, and computer might do that.

You could try banging on the inertia switch and see if engine stalls, would be a longshot though

jprevat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for the time being
Transmission
Automatic
No, never ran into that, fuel pump relay can do that, and computer might do that.

You could try banging on the inertia switch and see if engine stalls, would be a longshot though
Ill see what I can do. If a longshot didnt work some of the time they wouldnt have a word for it though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals