• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAP/MAF sensor

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I've been having some rough trouble with my truck. It doesn't want to start unless I give it some gas and it'll hesitate and stall when I'm driving. Like, it'll run fine for abit and then it'll hesitate and sputter and die. Its getting old quick.:bawling:

Alot of people have told me its the MAP/MAF Sensor. Where is it Located?:icon_welder:

I've replaced the IAC, cap, rotor, plugs, wires and fuel filter.

I'm on a budget and I don't have alot of cash to spare to keep sinking into it.

What is the difference between the MAP and MAF sensor? How do I know which I need to replace? My truck isn't equipped with California Emissions.

A Picture or verbal refferance would be great. :)

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '87 2.9 and the Map is located on the firewall just above the evaporator housing. It has a small vacuum line running to it.

freedom5

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your MAF is connected to your air filter box and your intake pipe going to your throttle body. It measures the volume of air entering your engine.

SVT

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Your MAF is connected to your air filter box and your intake pipe going to your throttle body. It measures the volume of air entering your engine.

SVT
87 2.9s dont have a maf sensor, just a map

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys! Okay, the problem is elsewhere apparently. I started the truck up, pulled the connector and it died. So, that tells me that it works

. What else could Possibly be the problem with it hesitating and running rough?

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_bounceblue:Could the TPS be faulty??? I pulled it off and cleaned it out, it had condensation in it. So, I figure it may be bad. Could the TPS be causing this hesitation, goofy Idle? :icon_bounceblue:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
have you pulled codes yet? instructions are in tech library

rebel167us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
CEL don't come on. Right now thats the least of my worries. :( Gotta' tow my truck home tonight cause' the Front transmission seal split and leaked tranny fluid all along the highway. 50miles from home, in the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping thats the only problem. It has been sitting for 5 years before I got it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Clean all of the connectors under your hood and use some dielectric grease on them to protect from moisture. While your doing that disconnect the neg terminal to the battery for at least 1/2 an hour to reset the computer. You can also clean the MAF with electrical cleaner and clean the throttle body especially around the butterfly. Put in a new PCV if you dont know how old it is and make sure the breather filter is clean if applicable. Even if you unplug a sensor for a minute you need to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 an hour and run it 20 mins before doing any diagnostics. The water in the TPS could have sent a false value to the computer I would just dry it out and plug it back in after you reset the computer start it up and go from there. Fix the obvious first and allways change the PCV with spark plugs.

marcperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.o
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger xlt.4.0l read all the specs for doing a 5.0 swap have an entire same year explorer, want to know can i use the 8.8in rear axle in place of my 7.5in .and what mods are needed to complete that swap. Thanks for your expertise...

marcperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.o
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger xlt.4.0l read all the specs for doing a 5.0 swap have an entire same year explorer, want to know can i use the 8.8in rear axle in place of my 7.5in .and what mods are needed to complete that swap. Thanks for your expertise...
DIY saves money, gains knowledge, and creates wisdom on how to fix your own stuff.....

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
This is an old thread with a question about a problem with a 2.9l engine. Placing a question at the bottom of this thread about an axle swap will yield very little help for you.
I would suggest searching/asking questions in the forums that have to do with axles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals