• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to track down my bucking/missing when warm problem

crash16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am the owner of an 88 ranger 2.9l 4x4 5spd. The guy i bought it from swapped it from an aut to a manual. But I've been rreadingon here since I got the truck. To my understanding 87 was the last year to have an egr, but my 88 has one on it making me think it's not the original engine. It had a plethora of codes on it and ha. Any help would be been repla. ng things as I find them with no cure for the bucking.
My question is, is there a way to tell what year the ecm is from? I'm thinking he stole the motor, Trans and ecm from an older ranger. The egr is capped off so am I right to think an ecm from an 88 or newer should cut out the egr codes and possibly my bucking when warm? i have done all the new vehicle tune up items as well. Any help would be appreciated.

jhammel85

If he put an older motor in but capped off the egr, his old 88 ecu will work problem free. If he put the 87 or 86 ecu in, then those line should be hooked up.

What codes are you getting?

crash16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have to re check them. I lost my little sheet of paper I had them written down on. I think he snagged it all from an older truck. Unless an auto ecu will work after he swapped it to manual. Is there a number or something I can check to see the year for the ecu?

crash16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so pulled my codes again getting 31o and 84o, both egr codes. 67o, 41c, 31c, and 29c. The 29 is from the wires ripped out of the vss in the end of the transfer case. So I think I'm correct for the ecu being from an 86 or 87. Anyone else have some imput?

crash16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to do the koer test as well, here are my results: 21 coolant temp sensor out of range (new), 23 tps out of range (new), 25 knock not sent during dynamic response test, 31 egr valve control system fault, 42 no o2 switching detected (also new). I am at my wits end with this truck. It runs great when cold then as it warms up it starts bucking/misfiring more and more. I have replaced everything that throws a code to no avail. As for the egr, the valve is in place but nothing else. Vac lines on the valve are capped off, nothing to control the valve is there. I might just go ahead and order an ecu for a 88 or newer with a manual and see what that does, but I think my problem lays in the electrical somewhere.

If anyone can suggest anything, please do. In need of help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals