• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.9L ranger problems! need help!

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
So the story begins here: i bought an 87 ranger stx, 2.9L, 5 speed manual, i noticed the idle was very high (1700-2000) and it got pretty bad gas mileage on the drive back home from where i bought it (120 miles away). it ran fine the whole way home, but climbing hills was almost impossible. i would have to go from 5th gear, to 3rd to get up the smallest hills. It seemed very, sluggish, if thats the correct word. It almost has no power.
So i checked under the hood, and found a broken vacuum line. fixed that, idle dropped (1200-1500) not the best yet. i did the obd scan, KOEO, KOER tests. and got an egr code. and idle out of ranger code. (dont remember the DTC numbers). i pulled the vacuum line from the egr and tried to manually open it, and nothing happened? guessing the egr is shot (will be putting a new one in tomorrow)
Also, the exhaust REEKS of raw gas.. and if i turn the wheel all the way to the left/right and flip around (icy roads) it revs high, and dies immediately.. so any help would be greatly appreciated! im completely stumped!
What else do i try next?

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the story begins here: i bought an 87 ranger stx, 2.9L, 5 speed manual, i noticed the idle was very high (1700-2000) and it got pretty bad gas mileage on the drive back home from where i bought it (120 miles away). it ran fine the whole way home, but climbing hills was almost impossible. i would have to go from 5th gear, to 3rd to get up the smallest hills. It seemed very, sluggish, if thats the correct word. It almost has no power.
So i checked under the hood, and found a broken vacuum line. fixed that, idle dropped (1200-1500) not the best yet. i did the obd scan, KOEO, KOER tests. and got an egr code. and idle out of ranger code. (dont remember the DTC numbers). i pulled the vacuum line from the egr and tried to manually open it, and nothing happened? guessing the egr is shot (will be putting a new one in tomorrow)
Also, the exhaust REEKS of raw gas.. and if i turn the wheel all the way to the left/right and flip around (icy roads) it revs high, and dies immediately.. so any help would be greatly appreciated! im completely stumped!
What else do i try next?
You should check the fuel pressure regulator. If you remove the vacuum line from it I think you will see gas come out of it. I would also check and see if the previous owner adjusted the idle screw. If the fuel pressure regulator does not drip fuel I would check the fuel pressure. The egr not working should not cause the problems you are seeing. When you change the egr valve make sure the passage the goes into the intake is not plugged up.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
You should check the fuel pressure regulator. If you remove the vacuum line from it I think you will see gas come out of it. I would also check and see if the previous owner adjusted the idle screw. If the fuel pressure regulator does not drip fuel I would check the fuel pressure. The egr not working should not cause the problems you are seeing. When you change the egr valve make sure the passage the goes into the intake is not plugged up.
the guy claimed to have already changed the FPR, it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, and a few odd hoses have been replaced. tonight i will try to check the FPR hose and see if it drips or not. if not, i have a friend with a fuel pressure tester and will check that. what PSI should i look for? also where would the idle screw be located (sorry for lack of knowledge, this is the first 2.9L ive owned).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals