• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle cable frozen

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
So found out yesterday after playing in some snow that it seems my throttle cable is frozen stuck. The pedal wouldn't push in and it obviously wouldn't get any gas. so I popped the hood and looked at everything. It all looks fine no snow or ice built up. I couldn't get the throttle to move at all when I pushed on it or even beat on it with my flashlight. I disconnected the cruise control just to see if it was locking up for some reason and it still wouldn't work. After beating on it and using a few hand warmers to try and get it warmed up I could move the throttle fine but it wouldn't rebound back so if I gave it gas it would sit at 4krpms and not come down. after work I was going to get some antifreeze and squirt it all around and heat it up even more. any other suggestions?

-Tired 2.9 5 speed 4x4

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Thaw it out with a blow-dryer then spray with WD-40. Windshield de-icer or Dri-gas.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes ^^^^

Reads like the throttle plate and/or cable has some water inside, you need to displace it, as said above you need to get some oil or wd-40 inside to push out or dilute the water.

E-brake cables can do the same thing, same PITA when rear brakes are locked up

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I will third what was suggested.

I had the problem of throttle getting stuck full. In my case it was rust, I had let it sit a bit too long. Working it and WD-40 got it moving freely again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals