• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Few swap questions..

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I have a 99 4x4 3.0 ranger and I just purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 2wd I got for a whopping $450.. I've done a ton of research and i couldn't pass up the deal on got on this one even though it wasn't awd. First question, can anyone tell me the engine harness pin out(believe it's the 42 pin connector) on the explorer and on my ranger, I'm about to go crazy looking through manuals for it. Question 2, i have the 2wd transmisson, is it possible to change the tailshaft housing and put an awd transfer case on it? Or will I need an awd transmission? I've been doing a little research on using my transfer case on the 4r70w and I believe it's an adapter from advanced adapters that I would need. I talked to a guy from there and the only adapter he thought they had was $550? Is that right?? I thought it was just something I bolted on, but he says it will need to be installed by a trans shop. Thanks I'm advance for the help!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dngrnger:

Welcome to the Ranger station.

For the electrical; I just took advantage of fact that someone else figured out C115 –the 42 pin connector – and replicated their mods. (Ford’s electrical manuals left some to be desired for this).

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.shtml at bottom of page.

The $550 price tag is low; web page is now showing $650 including 4w70 parts. The adapter bolts on; it’s the output shaft that is the problem. In order to install the output shaft, the transmission has to come apart.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2009/explorer_v8_swap.shtml

Note: They might as well rebuild transmission while they have it apart.

Hopefully, that helped.

Don

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dngrnger:

Welcome to the Ranger station.

For the electrical; I just took advantage of fact that someone else figured out C115 –the 42 pin connector – and replicated their mods. (Ford’s electrical manuals left some to be desired for this).

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.shtml at bottom of page.

The $550 price tag is low; web page is now showing $650 including 4w70 parts. The adapter bolts on; it’s the output shaft that is the problem. In order to install the output shaft, the transmission has to come apart.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2009/explorer_v8_swap.shtml

Note: They might as well rebuild transmission while they have it apart.

Hopefully, that helped.

Don
Thanks! I've had some tell me that I need to change some pins for the 2000 explorer into the 99 ford ranger, thanks for the info! So I don't need to change any pins, I guess is my question??
I'm gonna need to get ahold of advanced adapters again and talk to them about my current trans and transfer case application and prob just have it rebuilt while its there. How do I know what transfer case I have, isn't there two options? 1350/1354?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your '99 Ranger/2000 Expo mix is considered the easiest of all possible combinations. Pretty sure electrically it's the only plug and play possibility.

I'm not a 4WD guy, but from what I've read, the AA adapter to fit the Rangers transfer case to the 4R70W trans is NOT the way to go. Between the cost of the adapter and then reworking the transmission, it becomes a less than ideal option.

Cheaper to go with an F150 trans and transfer case from a breakers yard.

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Your '99 Ranger/2000 Expo mix is considered the easiest of all possible combinations. Pretty sure electrically it's the only plug and play possibility.

I'm not a 4WD guy, but from what I've read, the AA adapter to fit the Rangers transfer case to the 4R70W trans is NOT the way to go. Between the cost of the adapter and then reworking the transmission, it becomes a less than ideal option.

Cheaper to go with an F150 trans and transfer case from a breakers yard.
Really?! I can go that way?! Where can I find info on what f150 trans and transfer cases can I use?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Really?! I can go that way?! Where can I find info on what f150 trans and transfer cases can I use?
Remember, I'm not a 4WD guy but I'm thinking it's the 4.2 V6 4WD F150's

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remember, I'm not a 4WD guy but I'm thinking it's the 4.2 V6 4WD F150's
That's the correct one if you want a manual trans.. 97+ f150 to be exact. If you want an Auto, your probably better off with the explorer drive train.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The engine harness is a "plug and play" as said. The only wiring splicing is in the harness to the starter, alt. and A/C harness which is really simple. Like Stangman and Win said, lot depends on your wants of a manual or auto, several ways of doing each. Really easy starting with that year and a 4x4.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For Dngrngr's case:

He has 2wd 4R70W, so he is going to have to open up the transmission to install a 4wd/awd output shaft if he is installing the Explorer's set up, so AA solution doesn't add that much more. He will reuse existing transfer case, drive shafts, etc. Note: I am not 100% sure (just 99%) you have to open the transmission; but you do need tail housing changed to one which would allow a transfer case to bolt on. (All of other common transmissions - 4/5R55, M5OD, etc require changing the output shaft).

If he had a Awd 5.0 Explorer, with 4R70W having the correct output shaft/tail housing, then we could talk about alternate solutions - Explorer (Awd BW4404) or F-150 (4wd BW1356) being significantly less expensive, but he doesn't. :(

So, Dngrngr has choices open to him.

Note: we don't know if his Ranger is manual or automatic or if manual if he wants to keep it manual, in which case you get '97 F-150 V-6 M5OD as staring point.

Dngrngr, your transfer case is most likely a BW1354 given it is a '99.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.shtml

Don - who when with a NP231* transfer case because it was the cheapest solution...

*Technically, I went with a NP 242 as I wanted full time 4wd, but the cases are identical externally. Will be posting my solution later tonight in 4WD Systems.

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For Dngrngr's case:

He has 2wd 4R70W, so he is going to have to open up the transmission to install a 4wd/awd output shaft if he is installing the Explorer's set up, so AA solution doesn't add that much more. He will reuse existing transfer case, drive shafts, etc. Note: I am not 100% sure (just 99%) you have to open the transmission; but you do need tail housing changed to one which would allow a transfer case to bolt on. (All of other common transmissions - 4/5R55, M5OD, etc require changing the output shaft).

If he had a Awd 5.0 Explorer, with 4R70W having the correct output shaft/tail housing, then we could talk about alternate solutions - Explorer (Awd BW4404) or F-150 (4wd BW1356) being significantly less expensive, but he doesn't. :(

So, Dngrngr has choices open to him.

Note: we don't know if his Ranger is manual or automatic or if manual if he wants to keep it manual, in which case you get '97 F-150 V-6 M5OD as staring point.

Dngrngr, your transfer case is most likely a BW1354 given it is a '99.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.shtml

Don - who when with a NP231* transfer case because it was the cheapest solution...

*Technically, I went with a NP 242 as I wanted full time 4wd, but the cases are identical externally. Will be posting my solution later tonight in 4WD Systems.
Ok. I have an automatic 3.0 flex ranger, like to keep it auto. So what would be the easiest solution? As far as I know, I have to have the output shaft pulled from the current trans and trade it for the advanced adapter. Or I can go to the local jy and pull an awd trans and case from a 5.0. My ?? There is, what driveshafts do I use?? I was going to go that way and get lockouts for my ranger, that way I can use it when I want.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since your going with an explorer engine, stick with the explorer trans and transfer case. This way its an easy swap.

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Since your going with an explorer engine, stick with the explorer trans and transfer case. This way its an easy swap.
Ok, thanks! One quick question, when I pull the trans and transfer case from the awd expo, do I need the driveshafts too??

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dngrngr:

While I agree with the Explorer transmission (stick close to the same year as Ranger/Explorer as Ford modified electronics over time); however, I'm not so sure about the awd transfer case.

BW4404 transfer case pros and cons:

Positive
It automatically engages when you need it.
You don't need to change the drive shafts.

Negative
Depending on what type of wheeling you do with your truck, the loss of low range can be significant.
It is always connected hurting fuel economy. Forget about disconnecting front axle; with BW4404 you HAVE to have the front axle engaged or all power will go to front axle and you sit while the axle flails inside the disconnected hubs.
Last, and for me the killer, you need to wire the Explorer Generic Electronic Module, GEM, to make the transfer case work (awd transfer case needs to bias torque or power just goes to axle with least traction). GEM needs front/rear speed sensors, brake position, transmission position, torque on demand relay, transfer case and power. Problem is GEM controls a lot of other electronic devices in vehicle and if they aren't connected, won't work (trying to keep you from hurting yourself). I also don't know how Ranger GEM will function if you moved those inputs to Explorer GEM or how the GEMs would work if both are connected.

IMHO, The F-150 BW1356 is the easiest solution.
Positives:
It will bolt up exactly where you removed the Explorer transfer case from on 4R70W transmission.
It will plug into your Ranger's wiring where you disconnect the BW1354 from and Ranger GEM will never know transfer case is different. (Sometimes Ford is actually plug and play)
It has low range.
It is designed for V-8 power (which the stock BW1354 isn't)

Negatives:
You need to buy a pair of drive shafts too. F-150 4.6 4x4 for front + conversion u-joint. And ~1' shorter for rear; there are some OEM solutions depending on short/longbox/supercab wheelbase).
The sprocket center to center distance is 3" greater on BW1356 than on 1354; the sprockets are ~1.6" greater diameter. This means BW1356 needs 4" more room on driver's side of drive train and Ranger only has about 3". The solution is to modify the engine/transmission mounting holes so they can be shifted an inch toward passenger side, which of course compounds issues with heater box but that can be solved with larger "dimple". There is a second, longer term, issue - because front drive shaft isn't aligned as close as it was in factory, it isn't going to last as long - say 20k miles tops. But for most of us 20k 4WD miles is a lot of driving and we sort of expect some parts to wear. Big engine + big tires + big foot = parts replacement.

My New Process (231/242) transfer case solution requires new input shaft and rebuilding transfer case. Modification to drive shafts (OEM solutions/Conversion u-joints but it took time to research and implement). Changes transfer case from switch on dash to lever on floor (adapting between Ford and Dodge/Jeep). Costs ~$300 from NorthWest Fab.

You know pro/cons of the AA for your existing BW1354

Pick your poison.

Don

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dngrngr:

While I agree with the Explorer transmission (stick close to the same year as Ranger/Explorer as Ford modified electronics over time); however, I'm not so sure about the awd transfer case.

BW4404 transfer case pros and cons:

Positive
It automatically engages when you need it.
You don't need to change the drive shafts.

Negative
Depending on what type of wheeling you do with your truck, the loss of low range can be significant.
It is always connected hurting fuel economy. Forget about disconnecting front axle; with BW4404 you HAVE to have the front axle engaged or all power will go to front axle and you sit while the axle flails inside the disconnected hubs.
Last, and for me the killer, you need to wire the Explorer Generic Electronic Module, GEM, to make the transfer case work (awd transfer case needs to bias torque or power just goes to axle with least traction). GEM needs front/rear speed sensors, brake position, transmission position, torque on demand relay, transfer case and power. Problem is GEM controls a lot of other electronic devices in vehicle and if they aren't connected, won't work (trying to keep you from hurting yourself). I also don't know how Ranger GEM will function if you moved those inputs to Explorer GEM or how the GEMs would work if both are connected.

IMHO, The F-150 BW1356 is the easiest solution.
Positives:
It will bolt up exactly where you removed the Explorer transfer case from on 4R70W transmission.
It will plug into your Ranger's wiring where you disconnect the BW1354 from and Ranger GEM will never know transfer case is different. (Sometimes Ford is actually plug and play)
It has low range.
It is designed for V-8 power (which the stock BW1354 isn't)

Negatives:
You need to buy a pair of drive shafts too. F-150 4.6 4x4 for front + conversion u-joint. And ~1' shorter for rear; there are some OEM solutions depending on short/longbox/supercab wheelbase).
The sprocket center to center distance is 3" greater on BW1356 than on 1354; the sprockets are ~1.6" greater diameter. This means BW1356 needs 4" more room on driver's side of drive train and Ranger only has about 3". The solution is to modify the engine/transmission mounting holes so they can be shifted an inch toward passenger side, which of course compounds issues with heater box but that can be solved with larger "dimple". There is a second, longer term, issue - because front drive shaft isn't aligned as close as it was in factory, it isn't going to last as long - say 20k miles tops. But for most of us 20k 4WD miles is a lot of driving and we sort of expect some parts to wear. Big engine + big tires + big foot = parts replacement.

My New Process (231/242) transfer case solution requires new input shaft and rebuilding transfer case. Modification to drive shafts (OEM solutions/Conversion u-joints but it took time to research and implement). Changes transfer case from switch on dash to lever on floor (adapting between Ford and Dodge/Jeep). Costs ~$300 from NorthWest Fab.

You know pro/cons of the AA for your existing BW1354

Pick your poison.

Don
Thank you for all your help, all is under consideration right now. I'll decide someday... For right now, I'm gonna get the 5.0 with the 2wd trans put in, work on getting the 8.8 in all set, then I'll figure out what to do with the 4wd, I'm going to need to do a gear swap either way, so prob the best time to grab some 4:56s and bite the bullet. Again, thank you all for everything. I imagine I'll still be posting from time to time. Need to actually start a build thread...lol

Dngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, I've been kicking around the idea of going to a manual. I know that most explorers are not manual, so i think I would have have the computer fixed to not look for the automatic??? And I was wondering what transmissions I could look for to mate with the 5.0??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals