• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help - What is This Part

jbawild1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a new problem, my 86 2.9L will sometimes not start and when it does crank it will die after a few minutes. I have noticed a part that makes a click at the moment the engine dies but I do not know what it is, need help. It is bolted to the passenger side inner fender well between the battery and the MAP, it has a mostly round shape that have a 2 wire plug that goes into it and 2 hoses, one hose goes to the EGR and the other goes to the intake manifold. One time as the engine was running rough I grabbed the top of this mystery part, which turns, and turned it and the engine instantly started running smooth. This part will also make a strange noise after the engine is turned off for about 30 seconds, it gets more high pitched until it stops
This truck has a lot of new sensors from the previous owner, which I know could mean nothing but this one seems to be old, may need replacing. I have uploaded photos of it. I bypassed the fuel cut of switch under the dash and the starting problem seems to have gone for know. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am determined to make this a reliable truck.

Attachments

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I believe that is the EVR or egr solenoid. You should have a vacuum diagram on the radiator support by where the hood latch is. It should have the colors for the vacuum lines. If you pull the top off of it it has a filter that may be plugged. It allows filtered air into the egr valve when the computer tells it to close. You can take and pull the vacuum fittings off and spray some WD through the lines to clean them out and make sure they are not cracked or leaking at the connections.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your symptom is certainly consistent with the EGR valve opening when it shouldn't, and that is the EGR vacuum control valve.

To really test it pop the line off at the EGR valve and plug it with a small bolt. It your issue goes away completely then you need to look into a new vacuum solenoid.

jbawild1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you very much for the info, I will be testing it first thing in the morning. This truck has a lot of potential, a previous owner did a good rebuild on the motor and even put in a new ECM along with new sensors, so I will continue to learn and keep it running right. Thanks again!

jbawild1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the egr solenoid and it did start running better, so thanks for the info. The funny part is I started checking connections for other sensors and when I touch the TPS wires, it almost stalled out. SO I also have installed new TPS and I installed new plug for it. Someone had done a horrible wire splicing job on the last one. Running even better know, still some black stuff blowing out of the tail pipe every so often, could be residual from running not so good.

charliegrl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
when my truck got vandalized, everything was taken apart, and I put it back together myself, all by myself. go to turn it over, and nothen, just cranking, when i hooked up my radio, the truck started right up. NO JOKE.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals