• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD vacuum modulator

ranger58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, my 88 ranger 4x4 shifts extremely rough, mostly in 1st to 2nd. And I got some advice that the vacuum modulator on the transmission is most likely the problem. I got the part at the auto parts store (not color coded) and replaced it in my truck. When I replaced it there was evidence the original one had gone out, because of fluid in the line. But it shifts pretty much the same and now with more research I find that there are actually two modules, one that is color coded and the other that isn't. Could the 4x4 actually take the color coded one? Thanks.

ranger58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My bad for posting this in the 2.9 section and not the transmission section... but hey my 88 is a 2.9! haha

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check that your getting good vacuum at the modulator? replace the vacuum tube from the manifold fitting to the steel tubing and then from the tubing to the modulator. Also you did use the pin that came out of the old modulator that pushes the power valve in the tranny? Another thing is it adjustable there would be a allen head screw on the modulator for timing the shift points?

ranger58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes i did put the rod back in with the modulator. And yes there is the adjustable allen wrench socket. Which way do I turn to bring down my shift points?

scheff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey I just got a 89 with the 2.9 in it. it has the a4ld trans and is not going in gear veary well and wont kick into reverse till about 4k rpms would this be my problem? I just got done replacing the toqure converter and it did nothing at all. do you guys have any sugestions or advice that might lead me to fixing this trick?

ranger58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes i would say the modulator is your problem, just pick up the part and make sure it has an adjuster. Pop it in and adjust the screw as necessary. Make sure you put back the rod in from the old one. Mine shifts great now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals