• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone got pictures of Flat bed Rangers, need some Ideals.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen my share of shotty flatbeds, I have a trailer maker near me, and I would like for him to make me a flatbed for my Ranger. So is there anyone with a flatbed, that looks good? I just need a General Ideal of what is needed in a flatbed.

Do I need a bar up front to protect the cab from damage?

How wide should I make it, the width of the cab, or a few inches wider?

Is it okay to use wood as the floor with a steel frame? If so what kind of extra protectant does the wood need?

What would be the best tail lights for the flatbed? Recessed into the flatbed frame or the "wart" type that bolts on?

I'll probably have more questions as this thread matures.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
To me a lot of this depends on personal opinion/interest.

I would put up some kind of protection at the front of the bed to keep from having heavy/long material dent your cab.

Width and height. :dntknw: What would you prefer?

Some of the old trucks had wood floors, so it must be ok. If I used a wood floor I would put on a water-proofing (i.e. Thompsons water seal).

To me recessed lights always looked better (the LED ones are the best looking IMO)

There are a couple in the gallery you can look at to help visualize you ideas.

If I was to build one I would use diamond plate for just about all of it (but would have to check the privce of it, probably exspensive), with the front of the bed having and expanded steel front (the width of the bed and same height as the regular bed). Built in side storage in front and behind the wheels and the whole thing would be herculined (same lights as mentioned above).

Thats my two cents. Hope it helps.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I built one for mine using a steel frame and wood floor. I just used deck stain to protect it...time will tell if it works.

Mine ended up being 86" long and 60" wide. When I started, I had envisioned something a little different but I guess this is what I came up with. I think I would do things a little differently next time.

I have finished the taillights now but don't have a pic yet. I'll post one in a bit when I get outside.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
I know it's not a ranger but I saw this and thought it was cool. I would probably put a cross bar under the window to keep from denting the cab and make the front loop stiffer.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is the place my dad got his from, custom ordered it and drove down from Canada for it. If nothing else it'll give you some ideas.

http://www.winkelmfg.com/flatbeds.htm

Edit:found a pic of it but it's not the best quality.

Last edited:

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Cabstacks. It's gotta have cabstacks.

lenry

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a flatbed frame for sale, you add boards. sides are 3"by 6" angle stock, crossbars (3) are 2"x2" square tubing. Includes a 5" strong tube bumper, taillights, class 3 receiver for a trailer hitch and a headache rack.

It won't fit on my Ranger Supercab without some mods, which isn't a big deal but I just found a stock bed to replace my smashed one, so I don't need both.

sittenHIGHon35s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i need to put a flat bed on my ranger i have a 00 ext. cab 4x4 4.0 can i build the bed longer then the normal short bed or do i have to saty close to the same size longer being 7.5ft to 8 ft same width also if any body has any pics id love to see them i got a good basic idea but i need more. i should mention i am building this for a moblie repair shop compssor geneator all the tools i could need i got a gas torch i have to cary jacks, stands ,fuel, welder,pretty much a shop i am doing fleet maint. plus itll be bad ass for on the trail ud love to be wheelin with me when u break sumtin lol any ideas tips questions, picture make me think so i can get this done also if u had any ideas on tool box placement or organization of it to maximize my use that would deff. be helpfull

:icon_welder::icon_welder::icon_welder::icon_welder:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Here's mine:

I have a steel frame underneath and wood on top. I have since stained the wood sort of a nice cherry colour. I had to do mine when my box basically rotted right off the truck. I was gonna buy another box for it, but I already had the wood leftover from another project. Besides, it works great for hauling the bikes around.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
The two flatbed pics i see here. Don't you guys have trouble smacking the bottom of the bed with the tire. going over like... any bump?

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am working on an 86 Ranger that has a flatbed. I just got it running today so will back it out of the garage to take some pics tomorrow.

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got some pics loaded onto the puter. I will be making some stake sides out of oak at some point.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i know its not a ranger but its some ideas

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like that yota with the samarai lights on it! The bed is sick too

BigD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Red85 Hey I was wondering how much it cost you to build the flatbed for your truck and if you had more pictures? I just bought a 93 ranger that I am fixing up. It has a lot of rust on the box so I was planning on building a flatbed for it. I've been looking at some pictures for Ideas and liked yours really liked yours. Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals