• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need advice for returning Ranger owner

JOSH_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had an 87 stx high rider 15 years ago and really enjoyed this little truck. Now i am looking for another ranger to use as a 20mi a day commuter and to pull a utility trailer occasionally with fire wood or tan bark etc.

I just wanted to ask for some advice on best years/ drive train as far as reliability and repair costs. MY 2.9/5SPD ranger was great, but i had an 88 B2 with the exact same stuff and it was a comlete POS. i know alot goes into, just looking for advice.

OBTW i do like the styling of the 83-86? and the 4spd w/ 2.3 seems solid and cheap to repair.

Thanks all-hope to become a valuable member of this site

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally like the 95-97 trucks with the 4.0 5 speed. This way you get the newer interior with old TTB front suspension.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm partial to the '89-92 body style, and in that period the drivetrain is more standardized, if going for 4x4 '90 and up is preferred to get the Dana 35 front axle

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a commuter, the 01 and newer 2.3l duratec 4 cylinder trucks are really hard to beat. Max power numbers aren't far off the 2.8,2.9, and 3.0'v6s, but they get fuel economy in the mid 20s with an auto trans, and up to the low 30s with a stick. I drive mine 50 miles round trip everyday, and get 28mpg during the winter (crappy fuel, colder ambient temps), and 31mpg in the warmer months.

Generally, they're nicer trucks all around than the older Rangers, and it will be easier to find trucks with lower miles, so you shouldn't have to worry as much about maintenance costs that an older truck with higher miles might have.

Mike Tonon

I like my 07 and believe it or not, in certain ways, seems simpler than my 87 Ranger (more complex in other ways). But, I wish the interiors had more character, like the 83-87's did.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is a 94 SC 2wd 4.0 5 sp. It gets around 20-21 on highway at around 75 mph, gets 15-17 around town. Its pretty capable and I just recently ended up moving a 22 ft TT around with it so it has some power. Also towed a short ways a 20ft Bass boat for a guy. It does all I ask it to do and if I need more I get out my F350. It currently has 318000+ on it and has been reliable but I have had made trans repairs and all normal maint items. A lot think the 4cyl will get better milage and they may but I dont think its enough to cause one to overlook a bigger engine just for a couple of miles. I commuted 150 miles RT with this truck for almost 10 years so the 4.0 OHV can be good. Just have to find a truck to go with it if going old style. Supposedly its better than the 2.9, the 3.0 is ok if you dont want to haul/tow anything. Had a friend that Uhaul would not rent a tow dolly to tow a chebby cavalier on because the 3.0 setup!

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I can get 21 mpg out of the Rat driving at 65 -70 mph. 4.0, 5spd, 3.27 axles and 2.35 75 15s. It is my first Ranger,and first V6 so I have nothing to compare it to. But it is a good all round truck. The 4.0 is a good runner.

JOSH_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger diesel?

I saw on CL near my area an 86 diesel for sale. what can anybody tell me about this critter? i figured that was an oversea's option but maybe not?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I saw on CL near my area an 86 diesel for sale. what can anybody tell me about this critter? i figured that was an oversea's option but maybe not?
They were sold here in the US back in the 80s. They weren't too common, but they do pop up on eBay and Craigslist every so often. They're slower than hell, parts are really hard to find, but they get good fuel mileage.

JOSH_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's kinda what i figured. although it would be kinda cool, also sounds like a hassle. think i will stick with my 83-86 2.3 4x4 4spd search-and i am in no hurry.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a commuter, the 01 and newer 2.3l duratec 4 cylinder trucks are really hard to beat. Max power numbers aren't far off the 2.8,2.9, and 3.0'v6s, but they get fuel economy in the mid 20s with an auto trans, and up to the low 30s with a stick. I drive mine 50 miles round trip everyday, and get 28mpg during the winter (crappy fuel, colder ambient temps), and 31mpg in the warmer months.

Generally, they're nicer trucks all around than the older Rangers, and it will be easier to find trucks with lower miles, so you shouldn't have to worry as much about maintenance costs that an older truck with higher miles might have.
^THIS really is the right answer.
Avoid the 3.0 (and yes, I own one and love it)

Truly, for the parameters you set - short commute, light hauling - the newer 4 banger IS what you want.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm not a big fan of carb'd engines, if you want a 4 cylinder 4x4 get an '85 and up to get fuel injection... if you are stuck on a first gen, all Rangers are virtually identical inside and out (other than different engines, switching to fuel injection in '85 for the 2.3L and '86 when they went to the 2.9L from the 2.8L, and a handful of different transmissions) from '83 through '88

JOSH_

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK good info. Sounds like an 85/86 2.3 w/ a 4spd and 4x4 is what i am after. My commute is usually back roads 9 miles each way, and i am usually not in a big hurry. the 2.3 is a popular motor where I am due to the high number of 4cyl race car guys here-that's why i like it, plus i had two 2.9's and just wanna try something different. I like the 83-86 style too

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The body stayed the same through '88 and the '88's had the better transmission (M5OD)... I think '86 had odd front brakes that were unique to that year

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals