• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 FX4 Disc Swap

Nate_DNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I've been looking at the rear disc brake swap using cobra hardware. But from what I'm seeing it wont work for my 08 FX4.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ford_ranger_rear_disc_brake_conversion.shtml

This modification only works on the Ford 7.5-inch and 28-spline 8.8-inch axles.

IT DOES NOT work on the:

2002 FX4 Off Road

2003~2007 FX4 Level II (but NOT FX4 Off Road)

2008~2009 FX4 Off Road (only when equipped with the "XR8" option - Torsen diff/31-spline/4.10 ratio).

so what options do I have for installing discs on the rear of my FX4?

vista4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take a look at swapping parts from an explorer axle. It has discs and is also 31 spline.

Nate_DNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so with my 8.8 being a 28 spline, then swapping to cobra brakes should theoretically work?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Isn't that what you stated in you original post? "This modification only works on the Ford 7.5-inch and 28-spline 8.8-inch axles."

Nate_DNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The wording is just a little weird and I thought I had 31 spline axles. Guess only the level II came with them. I just wanted to be sure before I start buying parts, thanks for the help

vista4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just be sure to check your axle code on the inside of the door to be sure or what axle you have.

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
I just this past weekend swapped discs onto the rear of my 2008 fx4. I did it by taking the outers (caliper mount, rotor and caliper) from an explorer (95-01) and bolting it to my 31 spline ranger 8.8. The problem I ran into was that the caliper mounting bracket is 1/4" thicker than the drum backing plate so when I put everything together my axle shafts were too short to put the c clips in. I had to use the axle shafts from the explorer to get it all to work together. I have not seen anybody else post info on this exact swap so I decided to wing it and it all worked well for me. I did not change my master cylinder and I am happy with the brake balance front/rear.
Also this will widen your rear wms-wms by 1 inch .

Last edited:

Bloodybrains

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey! So you just swapped the shafts and the bearing / seal surface isn't hanging 1" out? The additional offset is outside of that?

I ran in to the same thing but, got the c-clips in and ran it! I get some noise once and awhile from the e-brake springs contacting the wheel studs. Not good ; )

Bloodybrains

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update

Installing the Explorer shafts pushes the discs out too far. Basically it's inverting the original issue.

We too installed the Explorer shafts but, machined 7/16" spacers to push the caliper bracket/backing plates out so the E-brake shoes are completely inside of the discs.

Our other Ranger is just getting the whole axle. That's just easier.

Revtach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just this past weekend swapped discs onto the rear of my 2008 fx4. I did it by taking the outers (caliper mount, rotor and caliper) from an explorer (95-01) and bolting it to my 31 spline ranger 8.8. The problem I ran into was that the caliper mounting bracket is 1/4" thicker than the drum backing plate so when I put everything together my axle shafts were too short to put the c clips in. I had to use the axle shafts from the explorer to get it all to work together. I have not seen anybody else post info on this exact swap so I decided to wing it and it all worked well for me. I did not change my master cylinder and I am happy with the brake balance front/rear.
Also this will widen your rear wms-wms by 1 inch .
I ran into the same issue. I just had to disassemble the parking brake mechanism in order to push the shaft in far enough to get the c-clips in. Once the c-clips were in I was able to reassemble the parking brake mechanism and everything works perfectly with no clearance issues.

How did running the explorer shafts end up working out?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals