• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to switch from aut to manual hubs

IH 444

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill start off sayin this is my first ranger and dont know alot about them so i want to switch to manual hubs is there anything you need besides the hubs to convert it?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The appropriate spindle nuts for the locking hubs.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
theres a conversion kit for it, hit up the tech library

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i just did the swap last night on my 93 ranger.. here's a little HOW-TO for ya.. you need the conversion kit for the manual hubs. not sure where you live but it cost me $300.00 for the hubs and kit.

in this order:
-pull wheel/tire off
-take auto hub off
- take a little pick and dig around in the grease there will be 2 springs that wrap around the spindle, take those off
- then pull the bearing off and anything else you can get off
- use your little pick again and take the lock key out (dig around in the grease it'll be there somewhere)
- once the lock key is out you can spin the spindle nut off, might be a little tight, should come off by hand if it tightens up then use a pair of channel lock pliers
-now all the automatic hub shit should be off
- in the conversion kit there will be 4 nuts that screw onto the spindle. 2 that have little "pins" on them, grab one and point the pin to the outside and screw it on. i used a small snap on pry bar and pry'd the nut tight using the wheel stud (carefully!) as leverage
-next grab the washer out of the kit that looks like swiss cheese and slide that bastard on there, make sure the "pin" is in a hole in the washer and push it on
-next grab the outer nut (its smooth no pins or holes) and spin it on, i took a punch and a hammer and set the punch flat into one of the grooves and lightly tapped on it to tighten it.

-toss manual hub on then the wheel/tire, while the tire is still off the ground spin the tire and make sure you can hear the diff and axle shaft moving, lock it in and out a couple of times..

repeat for the other side and your done. i've never done hubs before or my dad and it only took us an hour to swap both hubs and get the tires back on and like 10 mins of testing and about 5 mins of bull shitting in the shop.:headbang::icon_hornsup::beer::icon_cheers:

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
You can buy the spindle nuts and locking washers cheaper from the parts store in the Dorman box cheap

Te conversion kit is 40 bucks and the washers and nuts will cost you less than 10 bucks.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
in this order:
-pull wheel/tire off
-take auto hub off
- take a little pick and dig around in the grease there will be 2 springs that wrap around the spindle, take those off
- then pull the bearing off and anything else you can get off
- use your little pick again and take the lock key out (dig around in the grease it'll be there somewhere)
- once the lock key is out you can spin the spindle nut off, might be a little tight, should come off by hand if it tightens up then use a pair of channel lock pliers
-now all the automatic hub shit should be off
- in the conversion kit there will be 4 nuts that screw onto the spindle. 2 that have little "pins" on them, grab one and point the pin to the outside and screw it on. i used a small snap on pry bar and pry'd the nut tight using the wheel stud (carefully!) as leverage
-next grab the washer out of the kit that looks like swiss cheese and slide that bastard on there, make sure the "pin" is in a hole in the washer and push it on
-next grab the outer nut (its smooth no pins or holes) and spin it on, i took a punch and a hammer and set the punch flat into one of the grooves and lightly tapped on it to tighten it.
:headbang::icon_hornsup::beer::icon_cheers:
Please use the proper sockets to adjust the wheel bearings properly. The inner nut its far from 'tight' and is only set to around 16 INCH lbs. Anymore and you will eat bearings very quickly. And the outer nut needs to be more than lightly tapped on....should be 150-200 ft lbs depending on tire/wheel size.

93rangerXLT4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Please use the proper sockets to adjust the wheel bearings properly. The inner nut its far from 'tight' and is only set to around 16 INCH lbs. Anymore and you will eat bearings very quickly. And the outer nut needs to be more than lightly tapped on....should be 150-200 ft lbs depending on tire/wheel size.
dude thats the least of my problems right now, me and another guy clipped driver's corners last night, i got all squirrelly hit the ditch and busted a telephone pole in half. other than a sore chest im fine. pretty sure its my fault unfortunately, kinda scared to go to court though.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Wow, way to raise a zombie thread after 7 years.

Good info though. Thank you, HDDriver. Nice quality first post.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals