• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

thank you to all on oil pressure but...

mailmanj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
2003 ranger edge 4x4 4.0
i would not of made it this far without the wisdom shared here. i regularly change the oil and add a half quart of lucas every change.

i was on my way to work the other day when i noticed my oil pressure bottom out. i noticed if i gave it a little gas the gauge would go back to normal. i didnt hear any strange sounds so i continued with my day. i use my truck on a 95 mile mail route with gravel roads being about half of my daily drive. i didnt notice any sound that would be alarming at any point. i got home and read through the forums here and saw that almost 100% of the time the first suggestion was " install an after market gauge preferably mechanical".

so i did and what i noticed is that on cold start up the gauge says 60psi and when it warms up it drops to about 30-40psi. at this point im assuming the switch on the side of the block was bad. but this seems really high. is the new gauge broken? the other concern is now my check gauges light is on. i remember someone referenced a t but is there a specific part used or just head to lowes and search for an afternoon?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It would probably help if we knew what engine. I'm not super knowledgable but those pressures seem fine, maybe somewhat high possibly because of the Lucas. Is the Lucas you mention have a viscosity like honey? I think the 2003 uses 5w20 so adding lucas would change that quite a bit, probably not hurting anything other than mileage.

mailmanj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
2003 ranger edge 4x4 4.0
its a 4.0 i have been using 5w 30 since i got the truck. purchased with 60k it now has 275k miles on it. i change it every 3-4k or about every month and a half.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
60psi at cold start is fine, spec is 40-60 psi at 2000 rpm engine fully warmed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, your numbers sound ok to me. It should be more like 5 to 10 at idle, fully warm.

The tee in question should be a 1/4" NPT IIRC. Really the easy way to do it is to take the old sending unit to the store and use it for comparison. If you find someone who works there it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to have what you are after.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals