• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake not working

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After getting my brakes done, my parking brake does not have any pressure. I adjusted the brakes and still have no pressure. The cable has a lot of slack when pedal is disengaged and my parking break light is always on unless i hold the release and push up on the pedal. Im thinking it may be the pedal mechanism.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
...The cable has a lot of slack when pedal is disengaged...
Sounds to me like you have stretched cables. They are usually under a VERY small amount of tension when released. IE: The cable doesn't hang down at least.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When you say a lot of slack, do you mean it is hanging down, or you can pull on it and move it a lot. The second condition is normal. That's the movement it would go through when you set the brake.

It does sound like there is excessive slack in your cables though, since if everything is correct the tension left in the cables when the brake is released holds the pedal up. You may have a stretched or damaged one, or it's possible something isn't hooked up correctly in the drum.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just changed a set in the 94 on the weekend to get it ready for sale. (Insurance requirement)

Could be very well that the ball on the end of one of the cables is not attached to it's "fork" inside the drum, as ADSM has mentioned.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
Similar problem I had...2 things I found out...I put the wrong side adjuster on one so it would never tighten up as intended and the other is that the parking brake actuator inside the drum was missing a spring (a shop did this)...I corrected both, tightened the cable and was good.

My best guess is that something isn't hooked up properly inside the drum...start there 1st and then look at the cable.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, ill try those suggestions when i can get my truck off the ground. And with regards to slack, it hangs down below the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals