• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with brake line flaring

hr8882

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After years of flaring steel brake lines sucessfully I decided to use Ni copper line because
of constant corrosion here in the NE. I can't get this new line to double flare without the flare
breaking or cracking. what am I doing wrong ? Is there a certain technique thats different
than steel line.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i aneal it first with propane, go a little bigger then normal on the bubble and watch carefully on the foldover...as soon as it seats after breaking over i stop and let the rest of the seat form on the make up in place.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had no trouble flaring the NiCu lines. Perhaps your flaring tool is bad? I used a brand new one from Autozone, and it worked every time. I was careful to cut the tubing off squarely, filed it smooth, and gently reamed every piece before flaring. I used a drop of oil every time I applied the flaring tool. No cracking. See photos here: ( http://imgur.com/a/sUnMy ) <== CLICK

Oh, and I didn't crush the double flare with excessive force. Maybe you're too strong for this?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had no trouble flaring the NiCu lines. Perhaps your flaring tool is bad? I used a brand new one from Autozone, and it worked every time. I was careful to cut the tubing off squarely, filed it smooth, and gently reamed every piece before flaring. I used a drop of oil every time I applied the flaring tool. No cracking. See photos here: ( http://imgur.com/a/sUnMy ) <== CLICK

Oh, and I didn't crush the double flare with excessive force. Maybe you're too strong for this?
Excellent write up CVAR!

I did my entire brake line and hoses about 8 years ago and only had to go back and redo the rear driver side due to a brake cylinder failure. It is starting to rust a bit at contact places but otherwise in good shape. I did the zip tie thing with mine since I had the same problem of finding replacement clips.

And...I also bought pre flared lines for the MC because I still have no idea how to make the flare properly for that application. For the rear brakes I bought a 3 or 4' length and put a line joiner to finish the rest because I didn't want to drop the tank. Only problem I had was measuring the line to the rear flex line, but there is a bit of room to play with that so I was able to flare the line standing up instead of lying down.

I had to cover the end of the line to feed it past the gas tank because I didn't want to risk getting any crud in the line...just taped a rag around it and fed it past the tank...even though my frame rails were recently cleaned and painted.

And I hung the lines as high up on the frame as I could to keep them away from possible buildup along the rail...even though I haven't seen that too much on most trucks.

hr8882

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot. That is one advantage to NICU is the ability to form to the flare seat.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah, i like it. i want to do my whole truck with it, hopefully sooner then later.

i had no issues a few years back on the first few coils i got to use, and then i had some splitting and hard forming with a few coils...so i tried the propane and it went much better.

not smashing the seat like i do with reg line has resulted in no issues.

i just assume theres a bit of variance in manufacturing, and likely most of the time hitting it with the propane now is a waste of time. of course redoing a flare is a waste of time too so its just been a routine.. but its a great product to work with in the salt belt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals