• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB antenna ground

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just put a CB in the ranger. Mounted it to the bed tool box, which is bolted to the bed, which is bolted to the frame.... Which is bolted to the battery.

Is that a good enough ground? Should I run a wire straight to frame?

The antenna is only a 22", but it sits above the cab line by 6-8" in the center of the truck and clears the radio antenna by an inch.

Does it need to be raised?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
No, it came with a gutter mount clip (metal). I replaced that with a stainless L bracket. The base is mostly plastic, but has metal sections for contact with original metal bracket and coax.

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
That nylon washer keeps it from grounding.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
That nylon washer keeps it from grounding.
Interesting, I would've expected it to need grounding. I'll through an isolator in there.

Thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The antenna bracket itself must be grounded (bolted directly) to the toolbox, bed, whatever large metal surface it is attached to. The insulator is to keep the center radiating element (antenna itself) from grounding out against the bracket. So you would put the stud piece (w/star washer) through from below the bracket, then on top goes the nylon washer (shoulder facing downward into the hole), the flat steel washer (if one is present) goes next, and then the threaded sleeve that holds it all in place. Finally the antenna screws into the sleeve.

The antenna is only a 22", but it sits above the cab line by 6-8" in the center of the truck and clears the radio antenna by an inch.

Does it need to be raised?
Indeed it needs to be (much) taller, but not by raising it's mount up...
The antenna itself is what needs to be taller (antennas that short IMO are a scam, they work so poorly). The longish 11-meter wavelength at 27 MHz (the radio spectrum CB uses) requires an antenna at least 48" tall in order to work at least somewhat acceptably (60-66" is much better, with a quarter-wave (102" tall) steel whip being best). Unfortunately there aren't many resources that tell you this though (or that at least make clear how important it is), which is partly responsible for the bad rap CB units seem to have gotten lately.

I run a 5.5' (66") Francis CB-26 Hot-Rod antenna w/heavy-duty spring on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Francis-300-CB26B-Black-5-5-Antenna/dp/B007QXLS82
http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-SS-3H-Stainless-Antenna-Spring/dp/B00042LC9M

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
The antenna bracket itself must be grounded (bolted directly) to the toolbox, bed, whatever large metal surface it is attached to. The insulator is to keep the center radiating element (antenna itself) from grounding out against the bracket. So you would put the stud piece (w/star washer) through from below the bracket, then on top goes the nylon washer (shoulder facing downward into the hole), the flat steel washer (if one is present) goes next, and then the threaded sleeve that holds it all in place. Finally the antenna screws into the sleeve.

Indeed it needs to be (much) taller, but not by raising it's mount up...
The antenna itself is what needs to be taller (antennas that short IMO are a scam, they work so poorly). The longish 11-meter wavelength at 27 MHz (the radio spectrum CB uses) requires an antenna at least 48" tall in order to work at least somewhat acceptably (60-66" is much better, with a quarter-wave (102" tall) steel whip being best). Unfortunately there aren't many resources that tell you this though (or that at least make clear how important it is), which is partly responsible for the bad rap CB units seem to have gotten lately.

I run a 5.5' (66") Francis CB-26 Hot-Rod antenna w/heavy-duty spring on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Francis-300-CB26B-Black-5-5-Antenna/dp/B007QXLS82
http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-SS-3H-Stainless-Antenna-Spring/dp/B00042LC9M
What he said. Lol

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, thanks for the all the information. I know the 22" isn't good, but it was free from dad haha.

Looks like I'm in the market for an antenna!

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Awesome, thanks for the all the information. I know the 22" isn't good, but it was free from dad haha.

Looks like I'm in the market for an antenna!

Check the truck stops they have a cb section with lots of cool stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals