• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Build Thread - 1-ton Chevy Swap

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'm fairly certrain that most of you guys won't be interested in this project since it's not a Ranger :rolleyes:. I reserve the right to remove any posts that are made in an effort to start an argument or otherwise add no value to this thread. This will highlight the build process of the truck that is replacing my Ranger as far as wheeling duties are concerned. The truck is a 1991 Chevy 1/2 ton. I bought the truck shortly after my 16th birthday. I plowed snow with it, pulled trailers, and DD'ed it until last May. It had the solid body and frame, good v-8 and built auto trans that the Ranger only dreamed of, so it was deemed as a better platform to continue building from.

I got an awesome deal (free) on a 14FF rear axle from a 1-ton dually.

Tore it down and did some cleaning/rebuilding:

MMM, full floating axle shafts.... Ø1.458" at the flange, Ø1.351" operating

I decided the drums had to go, so I swapped on some disc brakes using caliper brackets from Ballistic.

I bought a pair of diff covers (one for the front Kingpin 60 as well) from GreatLakeOffroad - Awesome Product!

All cleaned up, painted and reassembled.

I also welded the tubes to prevent them from inadvertently spinning under high-torque conditions. It's a common problem as the plug welds the factory uses are really not sufficient.

This is as far as I've made it to this point. I've got most of the parts to proceed, I will be rebuilding the front 60 as well as installing the new rear springs and shackle flip kit. Stay tuned for more progress.

Last edited:

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FINALLY! I've been waiting for this build. All the work looks good as usual. What gears do they have? Locker maybe or what the hell is that in the diff?

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
only got one word and a smiley: NICE:drool:, oh yeah, and one comment, AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY:yahoo:, who cares what other people say, i say way to go. and one question how hard was the disk brake conversion, i have drums front and back and want to covert to disks up front:drool:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't care if you want to deal with crap.
Posting it here is just asking for a fight, As usual.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
FINALLY! I've been waiting for this build. All the work looks good as usual. What gears do they have? Locker maybe or what the hell is that in the diff?
The axles both have 4.10's in them now. Not great, but it's better than 3.55's or anything less. My plan for now is to run them as-is just to get them under the truck. Once I have the truck rolling on the new axles and the suspension dialed in, I can start thinking about regearing. The 14FF has an open carrier but uses the "orb" method for a locker. Basically, the four spiders and the side gears were welded into a ball or "orb of traction" as seen here:

This picture is from biggervalves as I didn't take any pictures when I welded mine up.

only got one word and a smiley: NICE:drool:, oh yeah, and one comment, AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY:yahoo:, who cares what other people say, i say way to go. and one question how hard was the disk brake conversion, i have drums front and back and want to covert to disks up front:drool:
The disc conversion was simple, its essentially all bolt on parts. You will need to do some modification to your brake hydraulic system to make them work properly, but that will be covered later. Check out Pirate's tech section for more information on brake swaps. Billavista has done a GREAT job with those articles.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I don't care if you want to deal with crap.
Posting it here is just asking for a fight, As usual.
What do you mean by this?

I am anxious to see what the outcome looks like John.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The axles both have 4.10's in them now. Not great, but it's better than 3.55's or anything less. My plan for now is to run them as-is just to get them under the truck. Once I have the truck rolling on the new axles and the suspension dialed in, I can start thinking about regearing. The 14FF has an open carrier but uses the "orb" method for a locker. Basically, the four spiders and the side gears were welded into a ball or "orb of traction" as seen here:

This picture is from biggervalves as I didn't take any pictures when I welded mine up.

The disc conversion was simple, its essentially all bolt on parts. You will need to do some modification to your brake hydraulic system to make them work properly, but that will be covered later. Check out Pirate's tech section for more information on brake swaps. Billavista has done a GREAT job with those articles.

the 4.10's should be plenty for most needs, i know guys runnin 38's + with 4.10's, and if u were to drop a sm465 into her, witha 205 case, then u would have a mean granny gear in it, and then ud have a pretty much bullet proof drivetrain for trucks under 40's, im a equal oppritunity offender, i build everything, aslong as it wheels it dont matter to me

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I was wondering if you were gonna post a build for that truck here. Depending on how big of a tire you go, 4.10's wouldnt be bad if you had a doubler. Speaking of that, what are you gonna run for a t-case(s)?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
excellent, I was gonna ask you when you were gonna start working on that baby. do you have any deadlines/dates for completion?

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1 tons are ALWAYS nice!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm fairly certrain that most of you guys won't be interested in this project since it's not a Ranger :rolleyes:. I reserve the right to remove any posts that are made in an effort to start an argument or otherwise add no value to this thread.
I had a few posts about my '78 3/4 ton on here, no one really argued much.

I'll be checking this posts for updates on the build, it sounds interesting.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Got the truck into the garage last night, started tearing it down this evening when I got home from work. Tonight I got the old rear axle pulled as well as the springs. I just need to remove the rivets that hold the shackle hangers to the frame. Then i can clean up the frame, shoot it with some paint and install the flipped hangers and new springs.

Got some stuff from Ballistic Fab.

Out with the old: the ol' 10-bolt.

Driver side spring out, passenger spring hanging by the shackle. (yes, the truck has developed the typical rear wheel well rot)

I'm planning on the new poly spring bushings being here tomorrow afternoon. If they make it, then I'll be able to put the springs in and get the 14FF bolted up. After that all I'll have to do is replace the ujoint in the drive shaft and plumb the brake lines back along the frame. Then, onto front end disassembly.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
Nice rear bumper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals