• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Laptop interface for desktop

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love playing World of Warships, but they surpassed my laptop's capabilities and having not played it a whole lot on my fiance's laptop I think it is hurting the power supply so I am kind of getting shut down using her laptop to play. She has had charging problems after the last two times I played on it.

I know desktops are the big thing for gaming, they cool better and have more room. But they take more room, I don't really have a place for it and I like to play on the couch rather than upstairs or somewhere else.

Anyone know of a way I could throw the desktop body behind the couch or otherwise out of the way and use a laptop for the keyboard/monitor?

I know they have the remote control thing for troubleshooting, having never really used it I don't know how well it would work for gaming. Not scared of a cord either.

Ideas?

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
You can use a remote desktop client, but I don't know how well they will handle HD graphics. I use a remote desktop at work, put I don't do gaming, obviously. I do watch the occasional YouTube video on it though. It works, but there are drawbacks that would make me steer clear.

For example, whenever my remote box gets any kind of processor load, it quickly starts having trouble keeping up with drawing the screen. Since I'm not doing processor intensive stuff all day, these little glitches are bearable. But with gaming, CPU and screen refresh rate are big deals.

You might consider getting a wireless HDMI box. That would let you plug the monitor into a small box that only needs power instead of having to plug it into the computer. That way the computer can be tucked away. You would then just use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Desktops do have a lot of advantages over laptops. They're cheaper, more upgradeable (especially if you build one), and are less likely to fail or overheat. I have a small laptop/tablet that I use for 99% of my computing needs (like endlessly refreshing TRS), and a desktop that I use for gaming or long coding sessions (it has a really nice keyboard).

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, my gaming has been limited to a few on Facebook or my Mac laptop so I wouldn't know where to begin...remote keyboard and a longer monitor cable maybe?

I started using wireless mouse and keyboards on my laptop and they do for emails and whatnot with a pretty good range...I can put the laptop on the edge of the bed and type and navigate without missing a beat...and they use those new wireless usb sticks that are about an inch long...might need a usb expander if you don't have enough ports...or buy a combo that uses the same stick...not too expensive either.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard about lag issues with Remote Desktop stuff, it's bearable when you're just fixing what someone else did, but I wouldn't think it would be good for gaming.

That said, you don't need a massive desktop tower to game. There are more compact towers if you don't need a lot of things stuffed in there. Wireless keyboards and mice work well, I used to game using a wireless keyboard all the time. If you have a newer TV, you can use that as a monitor even. Stick the computer tower by the TV, plug it in, take the wireless stuff and go to town.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the sound of using the tv... I will have to run it by The Keeper of the Remote. :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

That got shot down pretty quick, going to have to re-scheme on how to set this thing up...

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor

That got shot down pretty quick, going to have to re-scheme on how to set this thing up...
:icon_rofl:

Uh oh, separate TVs already...or maybe you can work around her sleeping habits...:)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Desktop PC's aren't that big anymore...sure you can still buy some gigantic cases if you want, but you don't need to. Your game would probably work just fine on a SFF (Small Form Factor) type desktop such as the Lenovo Thinkcentre M73 type. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M73-10B50001US-Core-i5-3-2-GHz-8-GB-RAM-500-GB-HDD-/132352832471?hash=item1ed0d7f3d7:g:nA4AAOSwg0BZ1nqj. I have a similar model but mine is just the dual core 3GHz. I don't game on it but it seems to be pretty quick for what it is.

The link I posted would work just fine according to the system requirements for the game. You don't need a huge computer to play games on, many buy those to show off to their "gamer" friends. With the fans on today's processors and case fans there's plenty of cooling capacity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals