• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 5.0 and solid axle swap

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Donor - $650 craigslist find. Transfer case went out and they got the bright idea to pull the front driveshaft and CV shafts. Made it a few miles before the drivers side front wheel bearing came apart and the tire fell off. Only has 125k miles but the body is kinda rough. I have two other explorers the same year/color/trim so it will double as a body part donor for them.

I put the CVs back in and a used wheel bearing so I could go for a test drive.

Recipient - $1200 Craigslist find with a bad 3.0 but decent otherwise.

Took me about 4 hours but the transmission is out. For future reference the wiring harness that attaches to the top of the trans can stay attached when you pull it. Older ones the harness stayed on the vehicle.

Around another 4 hours and engine is out also. I didn't think working solo 8 hours was bad to get engine and trans pulled. I took my time and enjoyed a few cold ones as I went along.

Next stage is to do the same with the ranger. Hopefully get started on that later this week.

Also trying to decide how much maintenance I want to do to the 5.0 while I have it out. Definitely going to do plugs, wires and a rear main seal. Was considering going all out and doing a cam swap and headers.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Good luck with the headers. There really aren't any reasonable options there. Torque Monster's are unavailable, and the other brand (forgot the name - OBX maybe?) have a pretty terrible reputation for fitment issues.

Otherwise, everything you've done and purchased sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm still hoping to step into a swap in the spring sometime.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since I'm doing a SaS at the same time that should open up my options for headers. I'll be running a yota steering box outside the frame so steering shaft clearance shouldn't be an issue either.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I've been doing some researching to try to make the swap as seamless as possible and I have a question about fuel systems. From what I can find the 5.0 system runs 64 +/-8psi and the 3.0 FFV is only 55psi +/-8 psi. Will this cause any issues? Slightly less max power but still run smooth? Are the in tank pressure regulators the only difference? Should I change pump/regulator while I have the bed off to replace the spring hangers?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's my 2¢:

My 3.slow Ranger came with 88 liter/hr pump = 140 lbs/hr delivered.

Explorer 5.0 was rated at 280hp; at stoichiometric AFR most gas engine are very close to 0.5 lbs/hr of fuel = 140 lbs/hr required.

Which said if my fuel pump was weak/filter slightly plugged/e85/etc, the engine would go lean. And a lean engine at full power isn't a happy camper.

So, I replaced the Ranger pump with a better one (OK, I'm running stoker, cam, Al heads, headers as well) as I don't want my investment scattered down the pavement.

Your mileage may vary.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recommendations on a good fuel pump? Are the connections the same between the 3.0 and 5.0? Pickup tube length the same?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Unless I'm losing my mind, the fuel pressure on the other engines is the same as the Explorer. Just the 3.0FFV runs at a lower pressure. You could probably just use a pump from a 4.0 OHV or SOHC and call it a day.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I did some more research. The explorer fuel system uses a single fuel line from the sender to the filter and the ranger uses two lines to the filter. So I could replace just the pump but the pressure regulator I have will still be the lower pressure one. Anyone know where I can buy just the regulator? I can't seem to find them unless I buy the entire sending unit (expensive).

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a Herko PR4030 on e-bay but it doesn't list any specs on what the pressure is. I'm considering just spending the $ and buying an Aeromotive 13129 and installing it in the return line so that I can manually adjust the pressure.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
griz700rocket:

Maybe I was making too many assumptions but from the pictures/your signature; I assumed the Ranger was a 2000, but looking closer it says 2000 SC and the picks are Rc, so maybe I should have ask what year the Ranger was. (the front hubs certainly aren't pre-99 4x4). And if it is 1998 or newer, it has same single line as Explorer.*

I'm 100% sure the pump in my Ranger is the Explorer; however, it has been a couple years and I forget if it was just dropped in; or if the Explorer pump was exchanged for the Ranger one in the assembly.

*'97 older Rangers/'96 older Explorers have 2 lines; newer has single.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bad on the signature. They are both regular cabs.

I was going off pictures on rock auto for 98+ rangers that shows fuel filters with two connections on one end and single on the other end. Also shows the fuel pumps with 3 line hookups. I was thinking that would be one pressure line, one return from the filter and one for the evap.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
griz700rocket:

I was right but I was wrong.

I was thinking about what was in engine compartment, not what was fuel filter back; but:

The fuel pump on my '98 only has 2 outputs; which matches the Explorer. The evap line is connected to the end of the gas tank by its own separate connector (as opposed to being at the fuel fill and/or at the fuel pump). (I wound up under the truck, so while I was there, investigated)

Now, my Ranger is a Canadian version and does have some minor difference (besides the speedo in km/h) compared to US one. It was one of the last '98s (barely got the special order in before they switched to '99s).

So, for me, Explorer fuel pump dropped right in. Your results may not be the same.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I purchased a fuel pressure tester kit so I'm going to see what pressure this 3.0 is pushing before I tear it down and compare it to my other two 5.0 explorers that I have.

Right now I'm thinking about buying a 255LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump model TRE-340 and attempt to modify the stock in tank regulator to run 75~ psi.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got around to checking pressure last night on 3 of my rigs. I only checked them at idle because I was in a hurry but results are: 2000 Explorer 5.0 was 75, 98 Ranger 4.0 was 65 and 99 Ranger 3.0 flex was 55.
Something I found odd was the explorer was the only one that the pressure started dropping as soon as you shut it off but it also starts the best out of those three. Going to try to swing by my fathers shop tonight and check pressure on my other 5.0 Explorer.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked pressure on my other 2000 5.0 and it was 55 at idle. I suppose it's just a difference in pumps/regulators but that seems like a lot of difference to me for the same year/motor. I wonder if the one that's running 75 psi has had a different pump put in as it has 125k miles and the one that's running 55 psi only has 84k.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals