• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coil on plug and other conversions

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe that there is so much more potential in the 4 cylinders that come in these trucks....... i have a rough draft of a coil on plug kit that will be plug and play. i have tested it on my personal b2500/rangerand it has great promise. It'll clean up the engine bay and make for an easier install of a turbo if need. by the way, the mustang svo turbo manifold fits the 4 cylinders without a problem. And this goes for any vehicle with the speed sensor in the diff you can change the final gear without affecting the speedo accuracy. unfortunately that's not the case for the ones in the transmission that does not work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Coil on Plug(COP) is a sideways, not an upgrade or downgrade, move but not sure it would be worth the cost of a conversion unless you were building a custom project.
There is no notable performance gain, unless you had an older points and distributor system, then any new system would be better, lol.

Benefit is there is no milli-second differences in spark plug wire length, so spark in each cylinder happens as Spark controller commands.
Car makers like it because you can disable spark in individual cylinders in case of a damaging misfire condition, it's also a few dollars cheaper if designed in.

Not sure you would have "cleaner wiring" on a 8 plug 2.5l engine with COP, you need 2 wires to each COP.
If you were switching to just a 4 spark plug system then yes, less wires, and the dual coil packs do take up a bit of room on the Lima engines.

I have been reading the cost runs about $600 average

What did your conversion cost?
And what interface/controller are you using?

Not sure what the comments about the rear axle ABS sensor are about?
All Rangers had them since 1990 or so, Rear ABS system, but they were only used for speedometer in 1998-2000 models
Yes, rear axle ratio wouldn't matter in those years, tire size would matter, in any year :)

Last edited:

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the companion coils are run in series so less wires than you would think. I originally tried wiring the parallel. but it would even run. so i did some digging and found that the coil packs companion cylinders are wired in series internally. it cost me $35 not including the coils which were $32 for all 8. the cost of 1 stock coil pack is $37. so now I'll save $42 next time i need coils. and the way i set this up it is easy to go back and forth between the cop or coil pack design. the wiring will be neatly ran next to the valve cover in what ever choice color loom is requested(within reason of availability). With this kit all the plug wires will be gone along with the need of the coil pack tower that= equals cleaner engine bay and more room under the hood where the tower would have been.This kit is plug and play, no cutting splicing any wires at all.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Where, and what brand of, COP coils did you get for $6 a piece?

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
king auto parts part number 2w7z-120229-aa

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cool. That's good to know since that is a Motorcraft number. I have an Expedition that is probably going to need 6 or 7 coils in the next two years.

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to be of some help. I run Shields Automotive in Edgewater,Fl. its a mobile mechanic service. I started it to help people stay away from the shiesty shops that will tell them anything to make a dollar. But what I really want to do is make parts that,ll improve vehicles. may that be gas mileage, horse power, or just easier to work on. But till I get some much needed equipment I guess I'll stick with small stuff for now

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's the intake side with coil on plug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals