• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Sport 4.0. ABS sensor

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
So it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve worked on my truck. Mostly due to frustration, but work keeps me busy. I replaced both calipers and now the brakes are no longer locking up and causing traction control issues. My new challenge is the anti lock brake working when I press the brake pedal. I have no abs light on. But I get that pulsating pedal and that grinding sound. I’ve been doing some research and watching videos, etc. This is what I have done. Check abs fuse. Fuse is okay. Unplugged both sensors and checked ohms and voltage on both sensors by spinning the wheels. I get nothing on either sensor. I’ve taken the brakes, rotors all off again and cleaned sensors. I’m really at a loss here and need your help. Could both sensors have gone bad since I replaced all the brake parts? It doesn’t make sense. And yes, both rotors have the rings in them. And I checked the part numbers to make sure I received the right rotors.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The ABS pump is activating because a, possibly more, wheel speed sensor/s are reading an incorrect speed compared to the other wheels. If one sensor is a little weak it can cause this issue you are experiencing. Ford dealerships have more sophisticated diagnostic programs than we, common consumers, can get our hands on to tell which sensor is dropping out to soon.

Can more than one sensor go? Yes it is possible that they can die close in time to each other.

If spinning the wheel does not create a reading then I would recommend make sure you are testing it properly first. This rules out human error. Next make sure your meter is set properly to read its signal. These signals will be pulses so some meters will not be sensitive enough depending on how old it is. If your test procedure is correct and the meter is working properly for the test then you do not get a signal then the likely hood of having a bad sensor is high.

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
The ABS pump is activating because a, possibly more, wheel speed sensor/s are reading an incorrect speed compared to the other wheels. If one sensor is a little weak it can cause this issue you are experiencing. Ford dealerships have more sophisticated diagnostic programs than we, common consumers, can get our hands on to tell which sensor is dropping out to soon.

Can more than one sensor go? Yes it is possible that they can die close in time to each other.

If spinning the wheel does not create a reading then I would recommend make sure you are testing it properly first. This rules out human error. Next make sure your meter is set properly to read its signal. These signals will be pulses so some meters will not be sensitive enough depending on how old it is. If your test procedure is correct and the meter is working properly for the test then you do not get a signal then the likely hood of having a bad sensor is high.
Thank you for your replay. It’s a puzzling situation. Lol. I actually used two different meters. Different makes. I checked for ohms and ac voltage, both results were the same. Zero. Both sensors. I’ve got everything else replaced, so I may as well go ahead and order both sensors in. I’m in a bit of denial because these issue weren’t there before I replaced the pads. Maybe I did something.. I don’t know.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
This may have been a typo but the sensor will produce DC voltage and not AC voltage. I just don't want you to be using the wrong setting that is why I am mentioning this.
\

EDIT: the sensor will only putout voltage in the mili-volt range. The sensor is just a magnet and as the counter ring spike passes through the magnetic field it creates a very small voltage. The ABS computer reads these small bursts of voltage and extrapolates how fast the tire is spinning. If one sensor is sending slower pulses than the other sensors the ABS system activates.

Last edited:

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
This may have been a typo but the sensor will produce DC voltage and not AC voltage. I just don't want you to be using the wrong setting that is why I am mentioning this.
\

EDIT: the sensor will only putout voltage in the mili-volt range. The sensor is just a magnet and as the counter ring spike passes through the magnetic field it creates a very small voltage. The ABS computer reads these small bursts of voltage and extrapolates how fast the tire is spinning. If one sensor is sending slower pulses than the other sensors the ABS system activates.
Thanks for the info. I ordered in both sensors today. No more guessing. Lol. I hope this does the trick. A simple brake job has turned into new rotors , calipers and now sensors.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I'm hoping that it is not a rear sensor that is acting up. In a shop we check all 4, 3 or the 1 sensor to be sure which one is causing the issue. A rear sensor can cause this issue also. Lets keep the fingers crossed that it is the fronts that went. I hate so see money just thrown at parts not knowing exactly what is wrong. On the upside of this is as long as the sensors are good from the factory you shouldn't have an issue anytime soon with them.

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
I'm hoping that it is not a rear sensor that is acting up. In a shop we check all 4, 3 or the 1 sensor to be sure which one is causing the issue. A rear sensor can cause this issue also. Lets keep the fingers crossed that it is the fronts that went. I hate so see money just thrown at parts not knowing exactly what is wrong. On the upside of this is as long as the sensors are good from the factory you shouldn't have an issue anytime soon with them.
I can only assume it’s the front. However I didn’t have any issue until I got messing with the brakes. I did order them in. Now I’m thinking, could it be my new rotors not correct. Although the part numbers match. I am going to throw an old one back on it again to see if I get a reading on my meter. It’s worth a try before I pull the new sensors out of the box.

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
So one wheel sensor came in. The other is on back order. I installed it, same condition. I await the other sensor with little hope.

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the verdict is in. After weeks of head scratching, ordering parts, loss of sleep, I replaced the last front wheel sensor. All new pads, calipers, rotors, and now abs sensors, nothing has changed. As a matter of fact, things are getting worse. I got the traction sensor kicking in, I can’t even get enough power to go up the street. Just grinding from the traction system. Even in neutral, I gave a shot of gas and still grinding. And to boot, abs system kicks in when I brake. What gives?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you, by any chance, in your flurry of just throwing parts at this truck, bothered to check the fault codes or do any other real diagnostic steps?

TallCanadian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
No sir I have not. I have no code reader and couldn’t drive it to a garage. However I have realized to pull the fuses (2) to disable the system. My abs, brake light and traction control lights are on but at least I can drive it. I will eventually get to a garage but I’m too pissed off right now to bother. Lol. At least everything the front is new.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No sir I have not.
So you did nothing worthwhile and wasted more money than you would have spent on a code reader that could have read the ABS codes. Got it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals