• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any one here with a cdl?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
SWIFT stands for Sure Wish I Finished Training, haha. That's what we always said when I worked at sears on the dock and the truckers looked like backing up that day was their first time. Any one have acronyms for other ones? id like to hear them.
I have one, but its not approprite for the forum :)

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Swing wide its a f&%@$ng trailer. That being said...
CR England has one of the best, most informative schools out there. You'll get your cdl in 2 short weeks. Training school will teach you everything from calculating drive time to actually docking a trailer, parallel parking, etc. Their dispatchers are lacking though. I highly recommend getting your cdl on your own (take the written, easy, then rent a truck & trailer for a few hours from ryder or penske for your skills test) then hit up cr england, tmc, averitt, maverik, etc for a remedial class. It will cost way less and not "lock you in" a company for a year or more

SVT

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SWIFT stands for Sure Wish I Finished Training, haha. That's what we always said when I worked at sears on the dock and the truckers looked like backing up that day was their first time. Any one have acronyms for other ones? id like to hear them.
Swift backwards stands for Two Fags IN White Semi, See What I ****ed Up Today? There’s good reason why swift is made fun of..........u couldn’t pay me enough to work for them.....I’ve seen a lot of stuff in my 20yrs driving...Swift,JB, Werner hire some real ‘winners’ mostly Swift though.....:icon_rofl: At one time, I remember being told they would team a new driver up with an experienced driver to train the newbie..........here’s where it get Bad.....their idea of experienced was someone with 6months experience behind the wheel....:icon_surprised::popcorn: I don’t know how true that is nowadays? Perhaps they wised up?... highly doubtful, see them do some pretty dumb stuff all the time.......They seem to always manage to get involved in some kind of accident.....He’ll, the one day I saw a swift trk got on the expressway and apparently never locked his tandems back in after delivering, needless to say he jab the brakes one good time and ripped the tandem out from under the trailer.....:icon_surprised::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know they still have the 6 month rule for "experienced" drivers.

I keep hearing a lot of good things about the training program at Cr England.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know they still have the 6 month rule for "experienced" drivers.

I keep hearing a lot of good things about the training program at Cr England.

No idea about their training program, talked to a few drivers that had the unjoy of working for them......From what I here they have a tendency to put bad marks on drivers DAQ reports, causing them tons of grief after they quit......love to report on DAQ reports that driver abandoned truck.. good luck getting that mark removed!!!! Also have heard that they try to push drivers into becoming trainers, & into lease purchase programs..........If I were u, and I was 20 yrs ago.....I would find a school and pay for it on my own!!! Do not listen to the nay sayers claiming u have to do OTR for at least a year!!! This is a blatant LIE..... I put myself through school,$5k financed it, then went and found me a local company to start with...it can be done, all u need is a good clean driving record! Yes, it’s not cheap, however nobody,and I mean Nobody will ‘own’ u for a year or two yrs. This gives them the upper hand and believe me they will use it to their advantage....:icon_thumby:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
When I retired, I never renewed my cdl. Didn't want to be hounded by all the local businesses. Seems that no one can pass a drug test anymore to even get a cdl. Sad.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As much as I would like to pay for an actual school I just can't afford it at the moment and want out of my current situation. Also on another note I want to drive long haul for awhile. It'll be nice to get away, make better money than driving locally ( I'd like to get some cash saved up), even if it is a shit environment it won't be forever; and once I'm out I'll know how good I have it.

I just want some decent training, yeah I can teach myself, but the book only tells so much.

From what I've read a lot of the bigger fleet company's are doing hair follicle testing now, so they can catch the dude that smoked 6 months ago. With the whole marijuana thing, it's becoming harder for company's to find drivers

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
As much as I would like to pay for an actual school I just can't afford it at the moment and want out of my current situation. Also on another note I want to drive long haul for awhile. It'll be nice to get away, make better money than driving locally ( I'd like to get some cash saved up), even if it is a shit environment it won't be forever; and once I'm out I'll know how good I have it.

I just want some decent training, yeah I can teach myself, but the book only tells so much.

From what I've read a lot of the bigger fleet company's are doing hair follicle testing now, so they can catch the dude that smoked 6 months ago. With the whole marijuana thing, it's becoming harder for company's to find drivers

Yep, gotta keep your nose and driving record clean. Get some training and experience and you should have great opportunities. Good Luck.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...From what I've read a lot of the bigger fleet company's are doing hair follicle testing now, so they can catch the dude that smoked 6 months ago.
I heard a story of a guy getting a close cropped haircut before testing. Applicant was told to drop his shorts & a pubic hair was plucked. He got the job-

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
All I have to say on this.... FedEx freight driver apprentice. $20/hr while training and 22/hr after completing the program

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update on this

Got hired by a sanitation company. Got a class b, drive a garbage truck on a county route 3 days a week, and operate a loader/ excavator 1 day a week.

Since its a county route I have less than 200 stops a day where as the city guys have upwards of 600.

Pay is decent, wish it were better but can't complain to much. I make 4 digits every check and my bills are under 600 for the month.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals