• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any thoughts?

Fordboy77'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am just throwing this out there, to see if anyone has any ideas why the ranger won't go into 4wd. I have replaced the shift motor( previous owner/mechanic told me thats what was wrong with it) and turns out that its not the shift motor. From what i know about the early electronic 4x4 used in rangers and explorers is that your supposed to hear a clicking sound coming from the Control Box in the back seat. Well i can push the buttons, and get nothing at all. When i start the truck up with the 4x4 computer disconnected the 4x4 lights on the switch do not come on. But when i start the truck with it connected the 4x4 lights come on for a second. So it seems to me i have power to the switch, but not to the shift motor or to the control box? There is also an LED test light on the computer, and i have never gotten one to come on. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Oh and i have only tried replacement computers out of exploders out of the junk yard, non of which have worked. The new computer cost around $330 or so, so i am trying hard to avoid it. Also i have my neutral safety switch bypassed(done by last owner), so the computer thinks i am in N, and can start the truck in gear, could that cause any of this? I've been fine driving around in 2wd since i bought it in june, but it'd be kinda nice to fix the 4x4 just to have it.

1991 Ford Ranger XLT
4.0l V6
5 Spd
The computer part # is
Motorcraft F17B-7E453-AA
Thats one out of an exploder, but the one that was in my ranger when i bought it has the same number.
Evil Little Black Box

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals