• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some help...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Looking for some help... Updated 11/15

I can't really go into some details, but basically, I have a problem. I have to have surgery which is scheduled for the week before Christmas. Because of this, I will not be able to drive a manual transmission vehicle for likely 3-6 months, which means I need an automatic to drive since nearly all of my trucks are manuals (and unfortunately only my work truck is currently drivable, the 4.0 in my choptop blew up over the summer). I started work on putting my 88 back together, but it's crunch time and I still have a long way to go. My injury that requires the surgery has been limiting how much paid work I can do, and also has been limiting my ability to work on my 88.

I chose to post this in the General forum because I'm asking for essentially two things:

1) Anyone who can come and help for a couple hours or a day here or there to help me get it back together. I'm located in Butler, PA. A few miles south of Butler City. I can't really offer much for the help other than food and drink right now, but after my recovery I would be willing to donate time or whatnot to help anyone who helps me.

2) I still am in need of a few odds and ends. Specifically my seat tracks are shot and the seats aren't in the best of shape either. If I can only get a set of good tracks, I'll make my seats work for now. Eventually I'll need a good tan headliner, good tan door panels and other such things too, but that stuff isn't overly important to me right now. I certainly will not complain if anyone wants to help a little with money for parts because it will still need an exhaust done too. Also need to come up with a blower motor, blower motor resistor, and heater core (although I think I may have a heater core somewhere).

Now, where I'm at on the project....

Front axle needs positioned and radius arms welded (I have the mounts made up and all, it just needs to be joined and plated at the axle, if I can get the welder dragged over to it, I can weld it up).

Front axle needs new U-joints. I have the joints. Front driveshaft will have to be put back in afterwords.

Front and rear brakes need done. Hard lines, soft lines, pads, calipers, rotors, shoes, springs, drums, wheel cylinders, brake cables. I have most of the hard lines made up and a few installed already and have all of the brake parts.

Body mounts need replaced and the bad mounts repaired. I have all the pieces. Original idea was to replace all the mounts and put on a 1" body lift, but at this point I would be fine with just replacing the front 6 bushings and worry about the back 4 and the body lift later. I just need the truck functional asap.

Last of the interior needs gutted. Headliner, trim, rear seat backs, front drivers seat. I'm only concerned with replacing the two front seats and tracks right now to make it usable, but I need to clean out where mice have made homes.

2.9L needs put back together. Block is in the truck, but the whole top end and all accessories need put back on. I'll probably be working on getting the heads ready to go between today and Sunday. I have a full gasket set and all that fun stuff.

Front clip needs put together. Fenders, radiator support, lights, grill.

I never expected this project to become this involved or taken this long to complete or I would have just picked up a beater for a few hundred. It seemed like a good idea because I had collected a lot of the parts that I'd need over the past several years, but we all know how projects go, lol. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, anyone over 21 that helps is welcome to sample some of my home brewed beer, lol.

Anyone who would prefer to donate money, here is a Paypal link or you can PM me if you would prefer some other method. https://www.paypal.me/lilBlueFord

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ouch. That is a ton of work. I'd be happy to help out if I wasn't on the wrong end of the state.

I think I have most of the parts you need. I know I have a blower, resistor, and heater core from an 87. I have a set of super-cab 60/40 tracks, which will work in a B2, just not a standard cab.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ouch. That is a ton of work. I'd be happy to help out if I wasn't on the wrong end of the state.

I think I have most of the parts you need. I know I have a blower, resistor, and heater core from an 87. I have a set of super-cab 60/40 tracks, which will work in a B2, just not a standard cab.
Don't suppose there would be any way to talk you into helping for a day or two, lol. I'm sure I can give you a place to stay for a night or two....

But parts would be welcome. Not sure how to arrange for getting them though.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd offer to help also but I'm a bit out of it for now.

PA seems to be one of the most member-rich states I've seen on TRS...always seems to be someone popping up from there...but...I could suggest checking the member map that was used for the banner to see if anyone is nearby that would be willing to help...

Other than that...maybe the moderators can make a temporary stickie of the post until you get what you need.

I was going to suggest that idea (making temporary stickie posts) for another reason but this is as good a reason as I can find...helping each other has always been the beauty of this website...

So...maybe make temporary stickies that can help members help each other...a short duration like two weeks or a month...then onto another temporary stickie...it may take a bit more admin work but I think the long term benefits would be huge...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd offer to help also but I'm a bit out of it for now.

PA seems to be one of the most member-rich states I've seen on TRS...always seems to be someone popping up from there...but...I could suggest checking the member map that was used for the banner to see if anyone is nearby that would be willing to help...

Other than that...maybe the moderators can make a temporary stickie of the post until you get what you need.

I was going to suggest that idea (making temporary stickie posts) for another reason but this is as good a reason as I can find...helping each other has always been the beauty of this website...

So...maybe make temporary stickies that can help members help each other...a short duration like two weeks or a month...then onto another temporary stickie...it may take a bit more admin work but I think the long term benefits would be huge...
That does sound like a good idea. I thought about trying to post it in the forum for Northeast members, but it doesn't seem like that forum sees much traffic, plus I'm also looking for some parts, so I thought General might be the best place for it.

Hope nobody is scared off by the list of what needs done, I'm sure with some help, that list can be knocked down in a hurry. I think I waste more time dragging out tools and putting them back along with muddling along with my injury than actually achieving much work. I'm not worried about the finishing touches right now, I just need it functional quickly so I have a week or two at least before surgery to work out any gremlins and get the inspection done.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I made this a sticky. Let me know via PM when I can un-stick it.
I know what it's like trying to do things when the body doesn't.
Good luck.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I made this a sticky. Let me know via PM when I can un-stick it.
I know what it's like trying to do things when the body doesn't.
Good luck.
:pray::icon_cheers:

Thank you!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
But parts would be welcome. Not sure how to arrange for getting them though.
That's the easy part. Between now and the 2nd week of Dec I will be in Erie at least once, and between all my family probably have two or three trips to Punxy/Rossiter area.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's the easy part. Between now and the 2nd week of Dec I will be in Erie at least once, and between all my family probably have two or three trips to Punxy/Rossiter area.
Could probably find a way to make that work, I have a friend who has family in Punxy

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thank you Richard...is this helping any or have you recruited anyone to commit to your cause?

I've still got a few old parts from my 88 but I doubt any of them would help you...starter, from a 2.3, alternator from my 88 2.0 (fits 89 2.9 or one of the years according to the specs)...power steering pump and bracket...

Biggest problem is they would cost more than they are worth to buy locally to ship them.

Do you have PayPal? I will be getting some medical travel reimbursements shortly and I can send you a small donation if that works...post up your PayPal payment information and I can get that done faster and less overhead than mailing a money order...they want $7 just to buy the money orders these days so Paypal works better...just takes a bit longer to process...

Interac transfers also work but I've never sent one outside of Canada before...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you Richard...is this helping any or have you recruited anyone to commit to your cause?

I've still got a few old parts from my 88 but I doubt any of them would help you...starter, from a 2.3, alternator from my 88 2.0 (fits 89 2.9 or one of the years according to the specs)...power steering pump and bracket...

Biggest problem is they would cost more than they are worth to buy locally to ship them.

Do you have PayPal? I will be getting some medical travel reimbursements shortly and I can send you a small donation if that works...post up your PayPal payment information and I can get that done faster and less overhead than mailing a money order...they want $7 just to buy the money orders these days so Paypal works better...just takes a bit longer to process...

Interac transfers also work but I've never sent one outside of Canada before...
So far I haven't found any help, but I haven't really had much of a chance since putting this up to really search for anyone specifically. So I'm still hopeful.

Yea, I'm not sure that those parts would do me much good anyway, lol.

I do have paypal.... I didn't think about that, I'll have to dig up my info and post it so that anyone who would want to donate can. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No problem...

I just noticed that there have been over 200 views so wondered if you were getting any offers...but don't let that concern you too much...I've had posts with thousands of views but only a few posts...more private messages than actual posts...lol

Putting your information up might help inspire some to help because it is so easy that way...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I'll have to get some info up, hopefully I'll get to that tomorrow sometime. My step grandfather passed away and I'm fighting a cold or something so it's been a mess the past few days.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, here is the paypal link. I'll be adding to my original post at some point.

paypal.me/lilBlueFord

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Still been trying to chip away at the list of things that need done. I have a solution to my bodywork issues now, just need to finish trimming a couple pieces and get them on (the day I was working on it, it started raining on me so I couldn't finish). Spent some time working on the engine today.

Good news/bad news is that I stopped at the machine shop to see about getting my rocker arm assemblies back the other day. Good news is that they're finally in the process of being converted to free-floating rocker arms. Bad news is that I'm going to owe money for them, lol. It will be nice to have it done though, should cure the infamous 2.9L tick. For the record, I did not actually expect them to be in-process... they've sat on the bench inside the door of the machine shop for over a year before the shop actually decided to work on them (which of course was right before I decided to retrieve them).

So far I have not come up with anyone able to come help me. I'm still looking though. I can probably get one of the mechanics from where I get my trucks inspected to come help me if I had a few bucks to throw their way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals