• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which 4.0 & trans will serve me best?

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some solid info for helping me make a 4.0 decision. I currently have a '94 3.0 Extended cab with Auto trans. I've had the truck for 6-8 years, second owner, now with 94K miles and it has been a GREAT truck. Problem is it doesn't have quite enough HP/Torque to pull the 2100 lb pop-up everywhere I want to go. I live in Mid-NC and it does pretty good going to the beach but doesn't handle the mountains well at all. A couple of Ford mechanics that I know & trust warned me that the AT trans in this series is really light weight and will over heat easily. I have over heated it in the NC mountains twice already. Once before and once after adding an additional trans cooler.

Here's the insight I need. I want to trade (or sell/buy) a Ranger with the 4.0 but finances may only allow a pre-2001 model. It seems that folks on here are getting good service and mileage from the 4.0 OHV engine. I've also heard that it was really designed as a better low rpm torque engine than the newer 4.0 SOHC. However according to the specs it does have on average 40 less HP and 20 less lb/ft of torque.

Will the pre-2001 4.0 OHV hold up as well in the long run? (I only tow to the mountains 3-4 times per year.)

Also, how about the Auto trans? Is the pre-2001 unit as strong?

Would really appreciate some solid input on this.

Thanks.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get new gears

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Which 4.0 and trans willl serve me best?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some solid info for helping me make a 4.0 decision. I currently have a '94 3.0 Extended cab with Auto trans. I've had the truck for 6-8 years, second owner, now with 94K miles and it has been a GREAT truck. Problem is it doesn't have quite enough HP/Torque to pull the 2100 lb pop-up everywhere I want to go. I live in Mid-NC and it does pretty good going to the beach but doesn't handle the mountains well at all. A couple of Ford mechanics that I know & trust warned me that the AT trans in this series is really light weight and will over heat easily. I have over heated it in the NC mountains twice already. Once before and once after adding an additional trans cooler.

Here's the insight I need. I want to trade (or sell/buy) a Ranger with the 4.0 but finances may only allow a pre-2001 model. It seems that folks on here are getting good service and mileage from the 4.0 OHV engine. I've also heard that it was really designed as a better low rpm torque engine than the newer 4.0 SOHC. However according to the specs it does have on average 40 less HP and 20 less lb/ft of torque.

Will the pre-2001 4.0 OHV hold up as well in the long run? (I only tow to the mountains 3-4 times per year.)

Also, how about the Auto trans? Is the pre-2001 unit as strong?

Would really appreciate some solid input on this.

Thanks.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got one of each A 3.0 and a SOHC 4.0. Both have 30" tires and 4:11 gears. I wouldn't TOW a trailer with either of them.
If I had a trailer to tow I'd first change the gearing as said above. The little guys just aren't built to do the heavy lifting.
I'd think either would do about as good as the other by swapping in the proper gears for the amount of weight to be towed.
Big JIm

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the new rangers with a 4.0 and 4.10s are rated up to 5760 lbs for towing stop acting like towing with a ranger is like towing with a 4cyl car. i tow easly 5k with my truck when i do a cord of wood. and i have 31s and 3.73s and a 5 speed. keep your 3.0 and put in some 4.10s or 4.56s and call it good.

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you only need one thread

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you only need one thread
Way to be of assistance!

According to Ford's specs in the manual, I think you can "technically" haul more with the Auto trans... what is your specific budget? You can find lots of post '01 models for the same price as pre-'01 models.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd look to a manual as it'll be more reliable when towing, and the actual tow ratings are in place to save the clutch for those that can't drive a stick....

The 4.0L is powerful enough, but when your looking for a truck what you should also be looking for is the gear ratio. Look for one equipped with 3.73/4.10's as they were available with high ratios like 3.55/3.27 which really have no place in a truck.

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you are very correct Wahlstrom1, the rear gear is one of the big factors.

Also 02RangerXLT, my budget might just get me in the 2001 range but the reading I've done on these boards has scared me away from the '01 and '02 models for now because of the timing/cam chain issues.

How about the reliability and comparison of the two engines?

Thanks.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also 02RangerXLT, my budget might just get me in the 2001 range but the reading I've done on these boards has scared me away from the '01 and '02 models for now because of the timing/cam chain issues.
Ah, i gotcha now.

As far as reliability goes, I am not sure, I've only had the 3.0 and 4.0 SOHC. But my SOHC has been running good, and theres lots of people on the board who've had both 4.0's and have had nothing but great things to say.

Honestly, I think that whichever engine you end up with should be a great choice either way.

krikf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '94 3.0 has factory installed 355 gears, which isn't too bad but a couple of the camp grounds we like in the mountains go from about 2500 ft elevation to 6000 ft elevation in just 15 miles or so. As mentioned, I've already over heated the trans once even after I added an additional trans cooler. Apparently the stock automatic is pretty light weight.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude get 4.10 gears and you will be much happier what size tire are you running?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Your are correct, towing in the mountains with an auto is a very easy way to cook the trans.

The OHV 4.0 is pretty much a more reliable version of the SOHC 4.0 that lacks the extra 2000 RPM power range of the SOHC. They have roughly the same power curve from 0-3500 RPM. The OHV is done by 4000 RPM while the SOHC keeps pulling close to 6000 RPM. That's really the only difference, and it only matters if you're planning on running in the 4000-6000 RPM range. The OHV is more reliable because it doesn't have the problematic timing chain tensioner setup that the SOHC has.

I would get an OHV 4.0 with a manual trans (much less prone to overheating than the auto) and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Don't go any higher than 4.10 because it'll ruin your highway gas mileage.

Putting 4.10s in the 3.0 truck might help, but the 4.0 is simply much better for towing things with.

If you really want an auto, I'd order a huge (think something like 1 foot x 2 feet) aftermarket trans cooler from summitracing.com or equivalent. That would give your auto trans a fighting chance.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would get an OHV 4.0 with a manual trans (much less prone to overheating than the auto) and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Don't go any higher than 4.10 because it'll ruin your highway gas mileage.
haha do you have a manual ranger? if not dont pass out the advice about the manual trannys they are not built for towing. im lucky i havent killed mine yet. but the ranger auto tranny is much better for towing. get new gear you already have the tranny cool. with new gears your tranny will stay cooler on the long up hills.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals