• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front tank won't read

TexasRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88 ranger xlt. And when I switch to my front tank it just reads empty. I know it is working because I filled it and it's at about half now. Anyone have some suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wire from switch to gauge is working, as is the 5volt pulse power supply since other tanks gauge is working.

So problem will be in the switch or it's relay, or wire from switch/relay to that tank, or sending unit in the tank has failed.

Not sure what setup will be on your '88 you will need to pull out the switch to see if fuel Sender wires are switched there or at a relay/solenoid in the frame rail.
If the switch just has 2 wires then fuel sender will be switched at a relay/solenoid, where the fuel lines are switched.

Stock Ford setup should have 6 wires at the switch
Yellow/white stripe wire goes to the gauge
Yellow/blue comes from rear fuel tank sender
Blue/yellow comes from front tank sender

Use an OHM meter set to 200 or 1,000ohms
Ford changed around the OHMS used by gauges and senders in '89, 16ohms(empty)-158ohms(full)
'88 and older should use 73ohms(empty)-10ohms(full)

Unplug switch connector
Put one of the meters probes on a good ground and the other probe on one of the sender wires, it should read between 10 and 73 ohms, higher(or N/C, no connection) means wire is broke or sender is bad.
If you rock the truck you should see the ohms change as that sender's float moves up and down with the fuel in the tank, if ohms just stay at 73 or near there then sender is good but float has fuel in it and sunk to bottom so will always read empty.

There is a small chance the ground wire for that sender is bad but both senders usually share the same ground, so.....small chance.

If both senders read correct OHMs and ohms change when truck is rocked, then switch has a bad contact inside and will need to be replace.
The same switch was used in pretty much all Ford models with dual tanks, so if not available new then wrecking yards should have a bucket full.

Last edited:

TexasRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be smart just to replace the those parts to avoid future problems and trouble shooting? I have none of the tools needed. Pretty new at this. But I can aquire the tools if it is an easy fix for beginners

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, many parts will last the life of the truck and beyond, that's how wrecking yards stay in business, lol.
Replace broken parts, not working parts

You need a Volt/Ohm meter(Multimeter) if you have a house, car, truck or boat

$25 for a meter will save you hundreds of dollars when you only replace broke parts :)

Ask how to use it after you get it, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers
And there are several Youtube videos on using multimeters

Last edited:

TexasRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's hard to get time with work to work on stuff. But I'll definitely make time to get it done. It's like playing with Legos again for the first time. I appreciate the help RonD.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, time is always hard to find, "they" keep making it but I can't seem to get enough of it myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals