• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replaced my PCV valve and created a bigger issue. Please help!

boobsmagee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There are so many things going on with this truck. 1988 25.9L
1 - Need help with the CEL code
2 - Help with why I'm spewing so much oil now

* CEL - Code #54 - Intake Air Temp or Vane Air Temp signal high. I spent several hours last night trying to research this, and I came up with nothing specific, just a lot of things I could throw money at and hope it corrects.

* The other night while bypassing my bad heater core I noticed the PCV valve was cracked and almost in 2 pieces so I replaced it last night. Started it up, and it went into a very very low idle. Checked my codes again and still have the same #54. After giving it a little gas it would stay in low idle and not shut off.

This morning, about 3 miles up the road I started to notice smoke venting into the cab of the truck (burnt oil smoke). Then smoke everywhere. Oil is coming out of my right side valve cover (which the gasket is bad and I knew that). I've had very little oil leaks in this truck from the valve cover (I've only has this one for 3 months now and haven't preformed all of needed overhauls yet).

I'm not a mechanic, and I'd give myself a 4 out of 5 for troubleshooting so I'm going to really try to not sound dumb here - On the right valve cover there's a breather. On the left is the PCV valve. I work in the boiler industry and I'm fairly familiar with combustion, gas/oil systems, etc. The PCV valve is like a check valve, and if both sides are 2 different chambers why are they not the same? Why would you have a check valve on one but not one on the other?

1988 2.9L

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Big freaking engine!!!, 25liter, lol, just kidding about the typo

IAT(intake air temp) senor is probably on the air filter housing in '88
It has 2 wires and fits in a hole in the plastic air filter box.
It may have fallen out.
Or it could be on the upper intake, again a two wire sensor that screws into the side of the upper intake manifold, usually toward the rear.

PCV Valve is basically closed at idle, open a little, because of intake's high vacuum, when you accelerate vacuum goes down and PCV valve opens more.
On the opposite valve cover from the PCV valve is the Vent Hose, this is part of the PCV system and needs to be clean and clear, it runs from valve cover/oil filler tube to air filter housing or air plenum tube going from air filter housing to intake.
A new PCV valve could be bad, happens more often now-a-days, with engine at idle remove dip stick and feel if there is suction in the tube, could be a little but very little, if there is alot then PCV valve is bad, and Vent Hose could be partially blocked.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals