• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer Problems [Check here first] --->

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I see these problems pop up all over the place so I figured I would try to consolidate the information in one place.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or contribute to what I write here.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1999 Ranger fluctuates or doesn't work until I hit 30MPH. What's wrong?

Answer - The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent out on the gray/black to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

The problem is usually found in the ABS speed sensor on top of the differential in your rear axle.

Remove the rear wheel speed sensor from the axle housing.

Connect a Digital Volt/Ohm Meter (DVOM) across the two sensor terminals and record the reading.

The reading should be between 0.8 and 1.4 k Ohms.

If not, replace the sensor.

Problem - "The speedometer on my '96 Ranger quits working sometimes."

Answer - From 1995-1997, check the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the transmission/transfercase. Could be bad.

Turn off vehicle and disconnect the VSS cable. Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (DVOM ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals on the VSS (not the cable). If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.

Problem - "The speedometer in my 1993 Ranger fluctuates. What's wrong?"

Answer - Your 1983-1994 Ranger uses a speedometer cable (mechanical). The problem could be anything from binding, worn or broken gear teeth on the speedometer gear, a worn out cable assembly or dirt/contamination causing the needle to stick.

I don't see much on the 2001 and newer Rangers with speedometer problems, they have a different set up then the 1998-2000 models. Starting in 2001, the raw speed signal from the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor on the transmission goes directly to the Ranger PCM (Powertrain Control Module) where it is corrected for tire diameter and axle ratio. The PCM then outputs the corrected VSS pulse the speed control and the cluster. In this system the PCM is the correction and distribution point for the VSS signal.

Forrest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V 6
Transmission
Automatic
Have they been known to leak.

Forrest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 V 6
Transmission
Automatic
Have they been known to leak. I have a 2000 XLT that seems to leaking gear oil.

prsguitars42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jim, the vss on my '97 ranger is good(measured 230 ohms). What else could it be?

cheyennesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
odmeter on 1995 ford Ranger xlt

Shortly after i purchased my Ranger i noticed the odemeter would work when it wanted to. the speedometer works just fine, i asked ford about it and they said after so many miles ( mine has 252, 000 miles on it) that it didn't matter that i would have to relace all the gages.
it does work from time to time and i still have no clue what is wrong with it does anyone else have this problem?

Kedyn's Crow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 Ranger 4x4 and the speedometer just stopped working. When I check stored engine codes I get a code of 29 which means Insufficient input from the Vehcile Speed Sensor (VSS). Do the 1990's have a Vehicle Speed Sensor as well as the cable for the speedo?

land2634

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so my dad bought a 96 Ford Ranger brand new (manual transmission), and I've been driving it for close to 5 years now. It has run great for a long time, but even when he drove it, the speedometer was never right. I've done my due diligence and know I need a new speedometer gear with more teeth (most likely one more). My speedometer is 6mph off. If it shows 70, I'm actually going 64. I want to go to my local Ford dealership to get the part, but want to know what I need when I get there. Does anyone know what the standard number of teeth on the speedometer gear is for this model?

canoeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It still doesnt explain why the odometer doesnt work but the speedo does. I swapped out the same model year, just plug and play.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It still doesnt explain why the odometer doesnt work but the speedo does. I swapped out the same model year, just plug and play.
Odometers on Rangers tend to go bad quickly. Mine started acting up at 165K. It would stop and the numbers used to skip a lot. Usually, a big hit on top of your dash would fix it and make the odometer work again. I'm at 168K right now, and my odometer has completely stopped working.

You could have probably gotten a bad odometer.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bad odometer? not likely. More likely the odometer worm gear attached to the little motor is broken. Cheap and easy to replace.

cheyennesn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
odemeter

I have tried to hit the dash and i swear it's a haunted truck because if i am going certain places she won't count mileage but i have noticed that each time my fiancee drives she counts mileage like clock work lol thanks for the advice lol i will probably get a new gage set then, :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

btgj81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Problem not in speed sensor

i have a 98 ranger xlt and the speedometer and odometer are not working. i have replaced the speed sensor and i know i do not have a speedometer cable. i have also replaced all of the fuses. is there anything else i can do to make this pain in my ass work?? sort of taking it to a dealership?

Last edited:

henryj10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 140cid
Transmission
Manual
Fixed Mine Check Wiring First Before The Speed Sensor

I had trouble in my 96 2wd 4 cyl without tach on the speedo

I followed the tech page on rangerstation and bought the speed sensor didn't fix so I checked the wiring grey wire was split . So I crimped it up work like a charm

My Tip is CHECK YOUR WIRING mainly near the tranny and engine something can get pinched especially if you dropping the tranny changing the clutch or what have you. would have saved me money on the speed sensor.

984x4dr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Speedo & ODO intermittant

My '98 Rangers' speedo & odo work when they want (I just drove some 200 miles and have 17 miles driven indicated). In the mornings it will work for about 10 minutes (daily) then go dead (speedo & odo) and lightly bunping the steering wheel or dash does nothing.
At times when it is working fine I may notice that the speedo starts to bounce around I can bump the steering wheel and it starts working ok for a short time but eventually just quits for the rest of my commute then when I get ready to go home from work and it works again for a very short time.

Update: 5/12/09
Read resistance of ABS speed sensor when cold or cooled off and the reading was 1.2k ohms. I drove the Ranger until it quit then drove back and quickly took another reading it it read open.
Replaced ABS wheel sensor and all appears nornal, tomorrows drive to work will tell.
Didn't have to wait as it quit working again.
To be continued.

Last edited:

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
will just replaced the abs ss and still not working speedo jumps around like a rabbit, so off to the wiring harness i go (funny thing i have seen is that lol it works when i put a load on the truck, ex. going up a hill and under mid throttle take offs but once the load is gone it starts jumping again and hinting bumps and the like cause it to jump to), so im thinking its the connector or the wire from the diff to the chassis (its free floating and may have been hit by something or just war our from year of dry south texas weather). do to the torquing of the rear end under load causing the wiring to make good contact with it self

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals