• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One drum brake shoe set worn to metal

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
And dang again...I have a new set sitting here that I may not be able to use that I could send you...can't take them back now because I bought them about six months ago...and I doubt they will work with the 96 hardware...

Anyway, yes, parking brake cables are prone to freezing, seizing, and otherwise getting stuck when you least expect it...I would like to have a look at how they are made and whether the manufacturer or designer even considered putting a lubricant in there to stop them from sticking to themselves...
Haha, yep been there done that, still have parts left sitting around for my jeep and they don't fit my B2 LOL. I found my problem I think and posted in my reply to adsm. Bad brake drum....ugg autozone idiots screw me again. Back to them tomorrow for a different drum, I'm demanding one that works right this time. Damn thing seems warped or something as it hits a certain spot and its lose for a couple inches then can't spin the wheel freely again.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I picked up a set of Aerostar finned drums from a junkyard and took them in to have them turned...everything went OK, but when I looked at one of them it is definitely out of round...didn't think it would work but I've had it for about 10 years with no problems...other than it looks weird...and they are 10" which, by every auto parts dealer and everyone on here there is no such thing as a 10" finned brake drum...:icon_confused:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I picked up a set of Aerostar finned drums from a junkyard and took them in to have them turned...everything went OK, but when I looked at one of them it is definitely out of round...didn't think it would work but I've had it for about 10 years with no problems...other than it looks weird...and they are 10" which, by every auto parts dealer and everyone on here there is no such thing as a 10" finned brake drum...:icon_confused:
9" brakes, and the drum isn't warped I don't think, it has a huge lip on the inside towards the side of the drum closest to the wheel, so when I put the lug nuts on and crank them tight it shoves the drum on so far it hits that lip in there and stops the wheel from turning. So it looks like the drum wasn't turned properly, so I'll be taking it back for a replacement tomorrow. The drum on the other side is fine. I can put the old drums back on and not have any issues, but the drums are chewed up from the brakes being worn down to metal so I don't want to put them back on, although at this point I may as well since the new drums sure aren't working LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Well I took the brake drum on the conflicting side back today and had it replaced, the ole' B2 is back in business. Don't know what was going on with that other brake drum but I swapped it to the other side of the truck and same exact issue, couldn't move the wheel by hand at all. Now with the new drum today I'm back in business. Sure glad that's fixed, I was getting tired of it sitting on jack stands LOL. :)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:icon_thumby:

Now, on to the other projects...haha...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
:icon_thumby:

Now, on to the other projects...haha...
Yep, tons of ideas, just lacking in the funding department LOL. Little by little I am trying to save up the money to get stuff fixed on it that I don't have the equipment and knowledge of. The mechanical stuff I can do just takes me a while due to only having 1 day off, and no garage if the weather is bad. All in all I think it took me about an hour to do the brakes not including the 2 trips back to autozone to get good brake drums. Everything else went smooth. Its just stressful for me because of lack of time to do stuff. I really enjoy the B2, but I swear if someone ever offers me enough money for it I'll sell it and grab me another early 80's Ranger (4x4 this time though LOL). Really miss my 84 Ranger Sometimes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals