• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger,ABS light with brake warning light, etc

docwood44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a 1997 Ranger XLT 4X4, with a 4.0 V6.
I have searched the posts for help with this problem, but I don't feel certain that I have found the definitive answer. Some weeks ago, I lost pressure in my brake pedal and it traveled almost to the floor and the yellow ABS light came on, as did the red Brake light. I still had stopping power, but it seemed spongy and there was no loss of brake fluid. I took it to a professional shop and a more major problem was discovered....the rear end had gone out, with a failure of a seal that had contaminated the brakes on the passenger side.There was much conjecture about what actually caused the brake problem...gear oil on the brake shoes, the failure of the rear end gears causing an error of the ABS sensor, even an electrical short of some kind in the dash wiring. Anyway, fast forward to a couple of days ago, I picked up the truck that they said was done and ready,with a total axle replacement as well as brakes and brake hardware kit. The brakes seem stiff to me, but I figure because everything is new. I drive about two miles down the road, come to a traffic light stop, and the brake pedal slowly loses pressure, going almost all the way to the floor, and the ABS light comes on , with the brake light, as before. I take the truck back, they bleed the lines again and adjust the brakes. I am told that a blown 15amp fuse was also discovered in the power distribution box, that may or may not have added to the problem. The possible electrical short problem was the result of a stored code that indicated a failed fluid level indicator switch. A bipass/jump of that switch and a retest suggested the possible electrical short behind the instrument cluster. I did a brake booster test as described here on this forum. When I pumped the pedal with the ignition off, all seems solid and airtight. When I press the pedal and keep it pressed as I start the truck, the pedal slowly loses all pressure and goes almost all the way to the floor. Could this be caused by an electrical short, or is this a brake booster or master cylinder problem? Sorry for having to write a novel.....Thanks.

Mark

docwood44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
An addendum to the previous post....

I am not losing any brake fluid with this problem.

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a 1997 Ranger XLT 4X4, with a 4.0 V6.
I have searched the posts for help with this problem, but I don't feel certain that I have found the definitive answer. Some weeks ago, I lost pressure in my brake pedal and it traveled almost to the floor and the yellow ABS light came on, as did the red Brake light. I still had stopping power, but it seemed spongy and there was no loss of brake fluid. I took it to a professional shop and a more major problem was discovered....the rear end had gone out, with a failure of a seal that had contaminated the brakes on the passenger side.There was much conjecture about what actually caused the brake problem...gear oil on the brake shoes, the failure of the rear end gears causing an error of the ABS sensor, even an electrical short of some kind in the dash wiring. Anyway, fast forward to a couple of days ago, I picked up the truck that they said was done and ready,with a total axle replacement as well as brakes and brake hardware kit. The brakes seem stiff to me, but I figure because everything is new. I drive about two miles down the road, come to a traffic light stop, and the brake pedal slowly loses pressure, going almost all the way to the floor, and the ABS light comes on , with the brake light, as before. I take the truck back, they bleed the lines again and adjust the brakes. I am told that a blown 15amp fuse was also discovered in the power distribution box, that may or may not have added to the problem. The possible electrical short problem was the result of a stored code that indicated a failed fluid level indicator switch. A bipass/jump of that switch and a retest suggested the possible electrical short behind the instrument cluster. I did a brake booster test as described here on this forum. When I pumped the pedal with the ignition off, all seems solid and airtight. When I press the pedal and keep it pressed as I start the truck, the pedal slowly loses all pressure and goes almost all the way to the floor. Could this be caused by an electrical short, or is this a brake booster or master cylinder problem? Sorry for having to write a novel.....Thanks.

Mark
I'm curious about this, too. It's a minor problem for me in my '97 (V6 3.0, 186K) – my brake pedal fluctuates some between hard and soft, but once I start driving I know what it's doing and adjust my braking accordingly without thinking twice about it.

Based on the erratic behavior of the problem (ABS/Brake lights not on at start, don't come on exactly at the same time, sometimes not at all, very different-feeling effects from one rime to the next) it has always seemed like an electrical and not strictly mechanical issue to me.

Edit: Just found this thread and will check my fluid level first:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1438138

Last edited:

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the sake of increasing the sample size, I'll add that topping off my brake fluid did the trick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals