• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bypassing the 4WABS Pump

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i need to redo my front brake lines after a little wheeling this past weekend, but while i was replacing the lines i was wondering if it is possible to just do away with the 4WABS pump by bypassing it. i have disconnected my ABS alltogether, so i have this thing just sitting there....
the only tricky part is the Master Cylinder has two lines coming out of it that tie into the pump, and the pump has three lines. One of the lines id for the drivers side front, one for passenger's front and one is to the rear.

can i tee off direct from one of the master cylinder lines for front and rear and have the second line go right to the back? would i also need to get a proportioning valve to compensate for this?

Running the lines is the easy part......but dealing with the 4WABS pump is another thing. i dont know much about it really......

any help or suggestions would be wonderful.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It sure is... you'll need a tubing cuttter and a flaring tool (Don't buy a cheap POS)

AD

howeyfeltersnatch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.slo
Transmission
Manual
so have you done this yet? and hows it work im thinkin of doing the same thing so my engige cage and shock will fit

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes i did.
i actually bought a Proportioning Block off of Summit Racing. it has all the inlets and outlets needed and a built in proportioning valve to the rear brakes.

it was easy to set up, and works incredible. i did pay a bit for it though at 100.00.....new lines were bent and run from the MC to the prop block and had to replace a blown line to the drivers side front.

2 hours to remove the ABS unit, run the new lines and bleed the brakes.

dezzrats

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I removed my ABS unit a long a while back, (explorer torn down) which line on the master cylinder operates the front brakes and which one is for the rear brakes? I just can't remember and it's time to make my new lines and ad prop. valve

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm confused as well on how the lines are run. Currently on my 99 The Line coming from the MC that is closest to the Brake booster which I would consider the front (Primary) brake line goes to the 4WABS pump next to the outgoing rear line, and the line farthest from the brake booster which I believe to be the secondary or rear brake line goes to the 4WABS pump right where the front 2 outgoing brake lines are. So either the MC is backwards to every other truck I have ever owned or the location of the incoming and outgoing brake lines is internally changed in the 4WABS. I have a Proportioning Block that I want to put on but I dont want to get the Primary and secondary lines in the wrong place. RB

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Forward chamber of the MC runs the rear brakes, just like every truck you have ever worked on.

The passages in the hydraulic control unit do all sorts of weird stuff in there and come out where the engineer wanted them to.

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Forward chamber of the MC runs the rear brakes, just like every truck you have ever worked on.

The passages in the hydraulic control unit do all sorts of weird stuff in there and come out where the engineer wanted them to.
LOL! ^This definitely wins the brake forum! lol

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good to know I'm not loosing my mind. I'll be removing the 4WABS pump this after noon thats for clarifying that for me. RB

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got my Proportioning valve plumbed in and the braking is better but I cannot lock up the front so either the master is getting weak or the calipers are not sliding right. Anyway first thing I noticed was that the speedo wasnt working. So I removed the electronics off the 4WABS and plugged them back in and I was able to get it under the power distribution box so it's out of sight and out of the way. Speedo works again.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Curious>>>>

Got my Proportioning valve plumbed in and the braking is better but I cannot lock up the front so either the master is getting weak or the calipers are not sliding right. Anyway first thing I noticed was that the speedo wasnt working. So I removed the electronics off the 4WABS and plugged them back in and I was able to get it under the power distribution box so it's out of sight and out of the way. Speedo works again.
======================
What kinda proportioning valve did you use, standard or adjustable?

When I do get back to workin on my 98 project, I want to eliminate the ABS stuf to..........

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I went out to my parts barn in search of a Proportioning valve that had two front outlets and the first one I found was off a 93 AWD Aerostar. So thats the one I plumbed in. It still had the lines hooked to it so i just took the ends off the Proportioning valve and put them on the Ranger brake lines. It might be adjustable as it does have a large nut on it that might change the Proportioning . Not sure on that.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some of Ford's master cylinders have built in proportioning valves. I know the explorer's do so it's possible some rangers do as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After driving this truck all winter with crappy brakes, I discovered tonight that the master cylinders on these trucks are built backwards. It actually says right on the master R and F and the rear is closer to the driver so I redid the brake lines and viola, I have great brakes.:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals