• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
she was hazey mc tazin pretty good.

any kind of mpg numbers for an all around average?

i have been punishing my 6.2 pretty hard. it would pull that tractor, just slow and even more smoke. though with a turbo it would run like a beast pulling a tractor like that.

work has slowed a bit so i dont want to pop the coin to install the turbo...but i found a place called mandrel bending solutions with a very hard to pass up builder kit that has me on the edge of sayin f-it and spend the coins.

http://mandrelbendingsolutions.com/builders-kit-aluminized-steel-not-expanded/

it might be sort of a waste the way i want to do it, but i would like to build a system that wont require removal to pull the engine.. a tricky task with a v8 diesel in a ranger engine bay to say the least....plus i been wanting to do an ac system.

i have looked at some b2,s lately and some more dub motors,

between the jeep kits and toyota kits i think it wont be too bad to do a tdi swap in a b2 cost effectively. i just have to decide if i want a e350 with a cummins as a daily driver or a b2. my ranger is my daily driver but i really want to change it up and that will require a bunch of time and money....a bunch more then fixing up the b2 for personal use.

my truck mpg is down from 15-19 to 13-17mpg....though i run 40-60 percent oil blends with that so cost wise its like 22-26 mpg. i think the b2 with a hand shaker and even with 33 in at radials could beat that handily.

and since i see alot more dub guys running oil blends my interest has been roused again.

do you think your going to offer any adapters?

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
hey bobby, yeah this setup has a pretty good haze at wot. EGTs climb pretty quick if I get into it pretty hard for extended periods of time. I'm pretty sure after the run in the video I would have hit the limit and needed to back off.

My average over the last 15k miles is 37mpg which for 2015 included a lot of heavy towing.

Yes, I still intend to get the adapters going. It seems something always comes up which takes up my time - my job has required me to spend a lot of time in china the last year and will continue to do so. :(

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im still down to buy one! glad to see its still working good.

big_jule

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I will buy one too ! Especially if you come up with one for the 4.0L v6 it would be amazing. Nice build by the way.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i am on the fence with it. but i know some guys burning black with the dub engines now and doing ok. but hell....37 mpg. who needs black? sounds good for the b2!! if your doing 37 i figure 25 would be normal for the b2 as it sits.....about 10 mpg better then it gets now.

there are quite a few adapters out there for jeeps and toyota and sami type deals.......my rig has the cologne pattern...and since the fawking rangers have 3 ....well actually 4 bolt patterns, i can see where choosing the way to go would be rough as far as production goes.

i been thinking of just using jeep adapter stuff but i have extra ford t cases etc for my bronco...

so initial buy in costs will be the deciding factor for me. and with the v8 cummins being offered in the nissan and the 4cyl cummins in the frontier....its looking good in the long term.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Im still down to buy one! glad to see its still working good.
I will buy one too ! Especially if you come up with one for the 4.0L v6 it would be amazing. Nice build by the way.
Thanks for the interest guys. I may have to get connected with a few peeps for prototypes. :beer:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Finally! Clutch install

Well as you guys may remember the stock 2.5L clutch held a surprising amount of torque. I expected it to slip the second I put a tune in the truck but it held. It almost held the updated tune with more fuel but sadly slips pretty badly when I really lean into it. Well I've been putting off redynoing until I had a clutch that would show accurate torque numbers.

Flywheel was showing some bluing from slippage so I had it resurfaced.

Much better

It was actually nice to see how quickly/easily the trans came in and out. I think from the time I pulled into the shop to when the flywheel hit the ground was right at 2hrs. Gotta love these 2wd trucks. :)

Clutch is a Southbend Stage 2 endurance and is rated for 385 ft lb per their website. Compare to their rating for the TDI-specific stage 2 endurance of 350 ft lb which seems to hold up very well to anything others in the tdi community have thrown at it. Honestly that rating seems really low. Anyway, should be good to go.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
so...is it driving through this clutch too...or is the trans going to explode now?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
so...is it driving through this clutch too...or is the trans going to explode now?
haha. Let's hope the transmission holds together for a little longer. I'll try and not drive like a hooligan. Actually I've only been able to take it for a quick spin to see how the pedal feel and clutch take up turned out...feels really good. I was planning on bedding in the clutch this week but had to park it due to a leaking power steering cooler. Been working some stupid hour (actually working right now :annoyed:) and haven't been in town when the boneyard is open.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I kept my M50D with 110k just for this type of swap. Its from my 91 2.3 motor, but It should work just the same. So your clutch is for the 2.3 and not the 1.9 correct?

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the interest guys. I may have to get connected with a few peeps for prototypes. :beer:
Let me know, cause I'm winding down on my turbo 2.3 ranger, and gonna need to start another, LOL. I'd really like to follow in your footsteps on the ALH too before they are hard to find. I found a few bugs for 3900.00 that run good. One had a rebuilt motor with 200k on the vehicle. Trying to find a auto one.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1st off this is awesome i suggested this a while back and got ridiculed slightly. i recently just bought a 93 ranger and plan to do a 7/9 lowering and was think of trying to tackle this and use the adapter as my senior design project next year but you already have it done so i'll look for something else.

next question since you havent been able to get to selling the adapters is there any way i could get a copy of the cad file so i could have one cut out for my build?:icon_hornsup:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals