• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 Heads

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys, been gone a while but still around. I've got a couple of questions I need some help with. First question I'm really looking for advice from some of our professional techs you know, the certified guys that do this every day for a living. No disrespect meant to anyone who 'Shade Trees' or 'DIY'. That's where most of the pros got started. I'll take advice from anyone who's had experience with this I just really need some concrete pro help.

OK, 94 Ranger, 2wd, original 4.0 OHV X engine, M5R1 trans, 246K miles. This is my daily driver, 85 to 90 miles a day, 5 & 6 days a week. Since I've owned it, over 15 years, the oil has been changed every 5000 miles religiously with Valvoline 10w30 Hi Mileage and Wix filters. Over the last few months she's had the 'disappearing coolant' issue. Over the last 3-4 weeks she's picked up a light miss, barely noticeable at idle or at speed but really noticeable below 1500 rpm under load (cruising down the street, 40ish in 5th and accelerating). The last several days it's gotten worse. No CEL set but it is running very rich. If I struck a match behind the tailpipe I could probably have a afterburner lol. It has been hot a time or two but not what I would consider to be 'overheated'. In the past 6 months it's had a set of new injectors, a full tune up, Autolite XP105 Iridium plugs, new wires, new coil pack. The MAF, IAC, TPI have all been cleaned and tested, all good. The old coil & wires tested OK but the wires had been on the engine for 5 or 6 years and I found corrosion in the bottom of the #5 tower on the coil pack so I went ahead and replaced them. Trying to narrow down the problem I've pulled plug wires one at a time and unplugged injectors one at a time to see which one of either made the least difference in the way it ran. Everything points to #5 cylinder (center cylinder, passenger side). Pulling the wire made almost no difference in how it ran, unplugging the injector did make a noticeable difference. I've checked and replaced vacuum lines, disconnected the cruise modulator vacuum, checked the intake manifold gaskets with starting fluid and with water (no difference with either). The only checks I haven't done are the glove test and a compression test which I will be doing this weekend.

IMO everything is pointing at the head gasket or head at #5. Following the compression test I'll be pulling at least the passenger side head, probably both to see what the Gremlins have been doing in there. Now for the question; What is the probability that the head is cracked, as they are known to do, and should I go ahead and lay hands on 1 or a set of heads beforehand? I can't afford to have her down for too long, it is my daily driver, but I'm also on a tight budget. I don't intend to skimp or cut corners, it will get what it needs in good quality parts (shameless plug for ROCK AUTO) lol. I plan to steer clear of used heads of unknown origin, I'm leery of reman OE heads due to the cracking issues but I'm not sure about some of the "new" aftermarket heads I see online.

Comments, Recommendations?? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Hi Guys, been gone a while but still around. I've got a couple of questions I need some help with. First question I'm really looking for advice from some of our professional techs you know, the certified guys that do this every day for a living. No disrespect meant to anyone who 'Shade Trees' or 'DIY'. That's where most of the pros got started. I'll take advice from anyone who's had experience with this I just really need some concrete pro help.

OK, 94 Ranger, 2wd, original 4.0 OHV X engine, M5R1 trans, 246K miles. This is my daily driver, 85 to 90 miles a day, 5 & 6 days a week. Since I've owned it, over 15 years, the oil has been changed every 5000 miles religiously with Valvoline 10w30 Hi Mileage and Wix filters. Over the last few months she's had the 'disappearing coolant' issue. Over the last 3-4 weeks she's picked up a light miss, barely noticeable at idle or at speed but really noticeable below 1500 rpm under load (cruising down the street, 40ish in 5th and accelerating). The last several days it's gotten worse. No CEL set but it is running very rich. If I struck a match behind the tailpipe I could probably have a afterburner lol. It has been hot a time or two but not what I would consider to be 'overheated'. In the past 6 months it's had a set of new injectors, a full tune up, Autolite XP105 Iridium plugs, new wires, new coil pack. The MAF, IAC, TPI have all been cleaned and tested, all good. The old coil & wires tested OK but the wires had been on the engine for 5 or 6 years and I found corrosion in the bottom of the #5 tower on the coil pack so I went ahead and replaced them. Trying to narrow down the problem I've pulled plug wires one at a time and unplugged injectors one at a time to see which one of either made the least difference in the way it ran. Everything points to #5 cylinder (center cylinder, passenger side). Pulling the wire made almost no difference in how it ran, unplugging the injector did make a noticeable difference. I've checked and replaced vacuum lines, disconnected the cruise modulator vacuum, checked the intake manifold gaskets with starting fluid and with water (no difference with either). The only checks I haven't done are the glove test and a compression test which I will be doing this weekend.

IMO everything is pointing at the head gasket or head at #5. Following the compression test I'll be pulling at least the passenger side head, probably both to see what the Gremlins have been doing in there. Now for the question; What is the probability that the head is cracked, as they are known to do, and should I go ahead and lay hands on 1 or a set of heads beforehand? I can't afford to have her down for too long, it is my daily driver, but I'm also on a tight budget. I don't intend to skimp or cut corners, it will get what it needs in good quality parts (shameless plug for ROCK AUTO) lol. I plan to steer clear of used heads of unknown origin, I'm leery of reman OE heads due to the cracking issues but I'm not sure about some of the "new" aftermarket heads I see online.

Comments, Recommendations?? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Lower intake leak is very common. ( Mine leaks oil) spark plug condition can tell a lot. You'll have to pull the plugs to do a compression test anyhow.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'll look at it.

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
OK, plan B. I've picked up a decent lower mileage 4.0 from a 95 Exploder. It's been sitting up for a while and during that time somebody borrowed the cam position sensor & drive. The 94 doesn't need that abomination but I do have to spin the oil pump with SOMETHING. I don't see the sense in spending $150+ for a cps just to drive the oil pump so the $64 question is will a 97-01 oil pump drive assembly fit/work in the 95 block? What parts from the 94 4.0 will interchange with the 95? ie: intake, exhaust, etc.... Any help is really appreciated

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Not entirely sure why you'd pull the passenger side head for a cylinder 5 issue, as that cylinder is the middle cylinder on the driver side, it seems that 160 to 200k is the sweet spot for head gasket failures but they usually just start leaking down the outside of the block at that point.
You should just be able to swap the oil pump drive from your engine to the explorer engine and be fine, as there are no differences there. I believe that the passenger side exhaust manifold is the same, Assuming the truck you're swapping is a federal emissions truck, it will not have egr as the explorer engine does, you will need to swap your driver side exhaust manifold over. crankshaft position sensor is the same, so you don't need to mess with that. Engine wiring harnesses are not even close to similar, and swap your upper intake manifold and vacuum lines, as many of the sensor connections and locations will be different

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

"Over the last 3-4 weeks she's picked up a light miss, barely noticeable at idle or at speed but really noticeable below 1500 rpm under load (cruising down the street, 40ish in 5th and accelerating)."

this is why i asked

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

"Over the last 3-4 weeks she's picked up a light miss, barely noticeable at idle or at speed but really noticeable below 1500 rpm under load (cruising down the street, 40ish in 5th and accelerating)."

this is why i asked
1. Changing your fuel filter every few years it's always a great idea, regardless of symptoms, and is very frequently neglected.

2. I feel that it's unlikely to be a fuel filter problem in the end, because fuel flow restrictions become more noticable at higher RPM (when there are greater fuel demands) and less so "below 1500 rpm".

Change your fuel filter and retest, but expect additional troubleshooting and repair beyond that.

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Not entirely sure why you'd pull the passenger side head for a cylinder 5 issue, as that cylinder is the middle cylinder on the driver side, it seems that 160 to 200k is the sweet spot for head gasket failures but they usually just start leaking down the outside of the block at that point.
You should just be able to swap the oil pump drive from your engine to the explorer engine and be fine, as there are no differences there. I believe that the passenger side exhaust manifold is the same, Assuming the truck you're swapping is a federal emissions truck, it will not have egr as the explorer engine does, you will need to swap your driver side exhaust manifold over. crankshaft position sensor is the same, so you don't need to mess with that. Engine wiring harnesses are not even close to similar, and swap your upper intake manifold and vacuum lines, as many of the sensor connections and locations will be different
Ummm... Sorry about that, I guess I got a little dyslexic there. I stand corrected. Thank you holyford. It was #2 and NOT #5 as I said earlier. The intake valve had cracked across the face of the valve. The crack was more than 1/4 inch long. The original engine had been feeling more tired as I went so I decided to replace it. The boneyard 95 engine turned out to be in great shape aside from a couple of missing pieces which made me tear it down to make sure there were no 'extra' pieces inside. Everything was fine, all clearances were within spec (yes I plastigaged the mains and rods and mic'ed the cylinder bores) and there was even still crosshatching clearly visible on all the cylinder walls. Long story short, new timing set, new oil pump, a new gasket set with valve stem seals and a couple of new sensors later the "new" engine was in and running like a top. I have power and mpgs (22) back that I haven't had in several years. The gamble on a boneyard engine paid off this time. I have to give props to A1 Automotive out of Erie, PA. The guys really went above and beyond to help me the engine from Kansas to Huntsville Alabama and made sure that I was happy. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.
I do have 1 minor aggravation with the project but I'll post that separately. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know I am a little late to the party here, and I didn't read everything, but as to how to drive the oil pump, I do have something.

Take the drive slug out of your old engine and put it in the new one.

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
I know I am a little late to the party here, and I didn't read everything, but as to how to drive the oil pump, I do have something.

Take the drive slug out of your old engine and put it in the new one.
Actually that's what I wound up doing. I was a little hesitant about it, having 250K miles of wear on it but I pulled it out and went over it good and it seemed to be OK.

Better late than never. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals