• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pushing a 2.3L to its limits

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I am very curious. I have a 1989 ranger 2.3 4x4 and I have to get onto the interstate everyday. I wind my little 4 banger up and send it on the ramp, holding up traffic. It is a 4x4, 5 speed and I am not trying to race this thing, but I just want some umph. I have read that the stock heads are a little congested from the factory and have pondered the thought of getting a spare dual spark head and machining it. I'm talking a gasket match and polish. Maybe even have it milled to increase the compression. If I did this would it make a difference at all? Would the stock piston and rings handle It? I don't want to turbo my truck because I take it offloading a decent amount. Turbos and sand dont get along very well. Has anyone ever done this to their 20+ year old motor?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have 4.10 gearing now? If so, some 4.56 gearing would really help.

As for the engine, if you get more air flowing through it you'll get more power. Either with boost or higher rpm.

In my opinion, turbo would be the way to go.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have 4.10s in it now on the stock 7.5 and Dana 28. I built my 8.8 with 4.56, but haven't lifted the truck yet. Working on vehicles outside in the winter is rough. Once swing break comes around I'll do my James duff 5.5 lift and axle swaps. I also am curious about swapping the exhaust manifold and putting a new catalytic converter on there. Mine could be clogged up.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah if your cat is clogged it'll rob some power as the engine cannot flow like it should.

There's some good info on the 2.3 here:
http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300.html

A better flowing head, cam, intake and exhaust will all net you more power, but likely at a higher RPM, which is useful in highway driving but not so much off road.

You could also look at engine swaps like the 4.0 and 2.5 duratec inline 4 which makes 170hp and 170ft-lb in it's stock form. It really all comes down to your budget and your goals.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I want to keep the little pinto engine alive. My main goal with this truck is to prove that the 2.3L can do everything that their bigger 4x4s can. My truck gets laughed at all the time, until I stuff it in between tight trees. My wheeling buddy has a 86 bronco 2 on 33s. We have drag raced and I always beat him by about 2 car lengths.....I know drag racing on a public street is bad, but I forgot to mention that while we are drag racing, we don't break the speed limit, and I normally get passed by a lady on her phone in her in her mini van

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I want to keep the little pinto engine alive. My main goal with this truck is to prove that the 2.3L can do everything that their bigger 4x4s can
I can respect that. I kept my 2.3 for a long time before finally swapping in a 4.0 :icon_thumby:

If you want to make power, you need to flow more air and add fuel. Look at heads, cams, intake and exhaust along with turbos. You'll need to have it tuned as well, of course.

A simple and proven solution is using a Turbocoupe engine, turbo and computer.

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I need to go to the junk yard to get some parts, I have been looking for a spare 2.3 locally for cheap. I wouldn't mind getting a motor and tearing into it and learning all about it. Also engine parts are super cheap. I think it would be sweet to rebuilt one

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Gasket match is not the correct route on these... the gaskets are goofily oversized in odd places, was going to do that on my turbo 2.3L when I was in there, but just ported it instead, I lost boost with the same turbo and setup after the rebuild and porting which means there was less restriction... I had reworked the head while I was there, I didn't go as crazy as many people do.

My Ranger sees sand a lot, and it works just fine for that, the only issue with the turbo and sand is I don't have an intercooler so the intake air gets hot fast and I can't use the power for very long... the 8:1 pistons leave some to be desired offroad, lot of clutch feathering and stalls...

I drove my Ranger stock for around 4 years as a 4x4 stock on 31" tires with the stock 4.10's, was doggy but did the job, 4th gear was my friend and still is... I'm running about 200hp as it sits and it is a kick in the pants and have had the ideals you are talking about, just doing it because no one else does... Don't dog the turbo swap for offroad reasons, it holds it's own, goes anywhere the other guys go, goes faster on logging roads and such with the TTB... That said, kinda wish it was a 4.0L at times :)

Ok, after typing all that up, I think a port job might get you where you want to be, not sure exhaust is going to get you anywhere though...

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you! I forgot that the turbo engines have less compression. Turbo coupe engines around me have gotten very pricey.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
they are here too until you find the right deal... my first was $600, second two were $240 for the pair... but they weren't runners...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals